PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to make this photo even more awesome?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

ModernMuseum
01-14-2008, 06:47 AM
if that is even possible? hehe. From my sister's wedding...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/kwright286/Copyoflaurawedding.jpg

Full res.:

http://modernmuseum.dreamhosters.com/Misc./laurawedding.jpg

subimatt
01-14-2008, 08:13 AM
What do you mean by more awesome? are you looking for possibly a different effect? A different crop? color adjustment?

Stime187
01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Or just basic processing? I'll give it a shot later if that's what you're interested in.

tardypizza
01-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Standard PP routine: shadow/highlights, levels, curves, resize ( no saturation and no sharpening)

http://tardypizza.com/Images/NSOP/laurawedding2.jpg

thechickencow
01-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Quick, somebody do colorization of the rose petals.

ModernMuseum
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
What do you mean by more awesome? are you looking for possibly a different effect? A different crop? color adjustment?

Just anything I guess. Mainly color adjustment.

Tardypizza-yeah, that looks a lot better. I still need to learn how to adjust curves and what they mean. I see that you really brought out those people in the back.

-keith

Stime187
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Just anything I guess. Mainly color adjustment.

Tardypizza-yeah, that looks a lot better. I still need to learn how to adjust curves and what they mean. I see that you really brought out those people in the back.

-keith

I've never adjusted a curve in any of my shots. Don't really understand them either.

tardypizza
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
I've never adjusted a curve in any of my shots. Don't really understand them either.

It's just a fancy way to selectively adjust contrast. I used it in conjunction with shadow/highlight to bring out the faces in the crowd.

Glass Man
01-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Quick, somebody do colorization of the rose petals.

OK, what the heck:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/Glass_Man_2007/Miscellaneous/laurawedding2.jpg

and the full-size version is here:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/Glass_Man_2007/Miscellaneous/laurawedding.jpg

tardypizza
01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
dammit, I have to say I kinda like it ^^

Outside of a wedding theme though, why I oughta...

jjswee
01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
How about leave the color in the pedals AND the bride and groom.

ModernMuseum
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
That's awesome. How did you do that? Did you have to lasso around every single petal?

Glass Man
01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I give a shot at a quick tutorial - here's what I did in Paintshop Pro (XI):

1. Added a new "chanel mixer" Adjustment layer, clicking on the "monochrome" to turn it B&W.

2. Adjusted the Red, Green, and Blue sliders around a bit until the B&W looked acceptable.

3. I grabbed a paint brush with the "Blending Mode" set to "Darken", along with Black for brush color. I used opacity of 100 in order to cover ground quickly, but for more complex background or pics you may have to turn it down to 20 or 30 and make multiple passes.

4. Start painting using your black brush on the adjustment layer - everywhere you paint, it essentially negates the effect of the adjustment, leaving the original color showing through. With an extremely dark background in many areas of the pick, I will able to scribble over the petals relatively quickly. Had to slow down a bit with the petals that had a bright colored background in order to stay in the lines.

5. If you screw up and reveal something underneath that you didn't want to, you can either "undo" your way out of it, or change your brush color to white and change the blending mode to "Lighten", which will result in the adjustment layer being re-applied anywhere you paint.

Same principle works with any type of adjustment layer and is a great way to apply things like "curve" adjustments to only certain areas of pictures. Nice thing is you can add adjustment layers on top of adjustment layers.

Glass Man
01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
How about leave the color in the pedals AND the bride and groom.

OK, and with a bit of sharpening to make it pop:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/Glass_Man_2007/Miscellaneous/laurawedding3-small.jpg

and in original size:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/Glass_Man_2007/Miscellaneous/laurawedding3-full-size.jpg

ModernMuseum
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
That's friggin' awesome man. I'm going to see if I can replicate what you did in photoshop tonight when I get home. I think this photo might be worthy of putting a frame around it and sending it to my little sis for a little post-wedding gift. Thanks for your help and insight. It's a shame that I didn't take it using the max res (10mp) on the camera. Oh well!

Dogged
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Glass Man, that was a really great idea. I followed your lesson, and learned a lot. Thank you. Your modified version of the photo is really neat.

Another way to do the same thing, is to paint a mask over the areas to be left in color, and then convert the remaining portion to black and white. This can be done by pressing Q (to create a mask layer); then pressiong B to get a brush; use the brush to paint over the area to be left in color; press Q again (which causes all but the painted area to be selected for modification); and then go to channel mixer (or in CS3 better yet go to the black & white tool). The channel mixer tool (and in CS3 also the black & white tool) is available in an ajustment layer or in the Image/Adjustments menu. The advantage of using an adjustment layer is that it is non-destructive editing. The advantage of using the black & white tool (available only in CS3), instead of the channel mixer, is that the channels can be mixed by moving the mouse to the left or right over the area to be changed (the cursor looks like an eye dropper) and a real time preview show the effect that was applied. By doing this, it changes the channel or channels that correspond with the portion of the photo to be adjusted. It is really a great advance over using the channel mixer to convert a color photo to black and white. If a mask is used, after leaving the mask (by pressing Q for a second time), to adjust the portion of the photo left in color just go to Select/Inverse, and the color portion can be adjusted.

jacobsen1
01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.newschoolofphotography.com/wp-content/gallery/others-pped/laurawedding%20copy.jpg

I did the selective coloring pretty quick, so there might be some color left that shouldn't be and a few petals might not be red anymore, but you get the point. It's also been tweaked with shadows/highlights, levels, and brightness/contrast before the selective coloring, then sharpened and framed.

Juanita
01-21-2008, 12:39 PM
^ I like it.

ModernMuseum
01-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Wow. That is SHARP. Do you happen to have the full res so I can see it up close?

ModernMuseum
01-23-2008, 03:02 AM
I guess once I try and follow the same procedure to get the same results, I might consider removing the shadow from the petal on her hair and on the dress. Anyone know how I can do this? Maybe the...err..what's the name for the tool that is like the negative of the burn tool?

tardypizza
01-23-2008, 06:31 AM
dodge tool?

Removing those shadows is going to be tough without losing the detail underneath. I'd leave them in, it gives a 3d effect.

subimatt
01-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I did the selective coloring

Busted! :lol:

booju
02-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I am new to everything and been just reading the forum and came across this thread...

Wow...Glass Man you really worked that photo beautifully!

It never occurred to me all that one is able to do in PP...

Great WORK!

Porter
04-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Just curious... what is the advantage of using a mask for this sort of thing and "painting" the petals, versus using the Quick Selection Tool?

ride5000
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
i generally find it easier to control feather and fade with the mask, but for stuff with sharp boundaries the QS tool is quicker.