PDA

View Full Version : Rules for the OT...

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

Sephro
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
First off not attacking anyone here just making a suggestion... *edit* moved :)

I think there needs to be a more cut and dry rules for the whole Off Topic! forum. I've seen a few threads deleted/edited because of broken rules that I haven't seen posted. I fully understand that if it breaks a rule it's 100% justified I just do not know what can and can not be posted. I know that 99% of this is common sense but as the forum grows I think the lack of rules will cause problems and such. If these are posted someone just smack me with a large trout and I'll shut up :)

(Yes I do know about the eff you sticky)

Markitos
01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297

Check it, dood! :D

<--Runs off to find large trout smiley.

LucKie355
01-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Any and all threads can be edited/removed at the admin or mod's discretion. This is in the forum rules.

If a thread or post is reported as being offensive or inappropriate, it will be edited/removed as well.

As far as setting up "rules" for OT, I don't think it is necessary to have any rules other than what's already found here: http://www.newschoolofphotography.co...ead.php?t=1297 (http://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297)

We trust that members will be able to use the forum rules and their own personal discretion before posting something that could be inappropriate or offensive to someone else.

-K

Sephro
01-09-2008, 08:43 AM
ahh... Well I wouldn't have thought to check in the n00b's forum for OT rules.. still might suggest a more detailed rules section for just OT since those always are run differently.

*goes to put on a rain coat to keep more trout juice of me*

Markitos
01-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh, and Kiki, welcome to 10 seconds ago!

LucKie355
01-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Oh, and Kiki, welcome to 10 seconds ago!

:sadbanana:

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for being a little wordy... :p

-K

Sephro
01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
:sadbanana:

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for being a little wordy... :p

-K

see sig for details. *runs and hides!* ;)

subimatt
01-09-2008, 08:50 AM

:lol:

LucKie355
01-09-2008, 08:50 AM

HEY! I know where you live! :unamused:

-K :p

Stime187
01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I agree with you, Sephro. The rules in OT need to be more concise and obvious. We'll see what we can figure out/do.

jacobsen1
01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
but are the rules different in OT? Should they be?

It's something we all need to decide on as a group, realizing this will effect who will want to join our community in the future.

Juanita
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
but are the rules different in OT? Should they be?

It's something we all need to decide on as a group, realizing this will effect who will want to join our community in the future.

Just my .2, (and I'm nobody really) it shouldn't matter what the rules for OT are. I would hope people wouldn't join NSoP just for OT, like some other sites I know of.

I think the rules are pretty clean and clear cut and understandable for the normal/typical person. If your humor is off color, etc, etc. you will get edited. Period.

LucKie355
01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Just my .2, (and I'm nobody really) it shouldn't matter what the rules for OT are. I would hope people wouldn't join NSoP just for OT, like some other sites I know of.

I think the rules are pretty clean and clear cut and understandable for the normal/typical person. If your humor is off color, etc, etc. you will get edited. Period.

This exactly.

I think though, to satisfy those who need some clear cut rules in front of their faces, that we will work on getting a "sticky" in Off Topic of the NSOP forum rules.

-K

iunno
01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
First off not attacking anyone here just making a suggestion... *edit* moved :)

I think there needs to be a more cut and dry rules for the whole Off Topic! forum. I've seen a few threads deleted/edited because of broken rules that I haven't seen posted. I fully understand that if it breaks a rule it's 100% justified I just do not know what can and can not be posted. I know that 99% of this is common sense but as the forum grows I think the lack of rules will cause problems and such. If these are posted someone just smack me with a large trout and I'll shut up :)

(Yes I do know about the eff you sticky)

i like that you've started this thread and pointed this out, it was something i was struggling with yesterday when certain drug references were made and i had nothing to back up my reason for editing, but edited anyway. we are still in our infancy and there's certain aspects of the grand scheme of things that haven't been ironed out yet, this is one of them, keeping things streamlined and welcoming as possible with a good balance of humor and discipline. that goes for ALL members, trust me i'm just as (if not more) over the line as anyone else, but i'm here for the same reason as all you guys.

seriously though, thanks. i'd rather have problems/hiccups/bumps arise and be taken care of in a timely and concise manner like this rather than 'the mods' just changing things and being nazis about EVERY post made in the OT. there's a time and a place for jokes/words/references and us all being adults should know the boundaries, if you don't, RTFM! or contact one of the moderators.

Sephro
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
^^ That's what made me think about this. Not saying you where wrong to edit but I just had never saw that you can not make references to things such as drugs.

So what are the general opinions of Drug references. Of course if someone comes up and says "Hey who loves heroin?" that would be against the rules. But what about casual drug jokes... like "I don't know what I was thinking. I really need to stop smoking crack."

Sexual references without being gratuitous?

I think that without a real concrete rules the mods are put in an awkward place too.

Maybe just make it so it has to follow the PG-13 rules? Maybe I'm just looking too into this? :lol:

Stime187
01-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe just make it so it has to follow the PG-13 rules?

I think that's the best way to look at it. Just keep it tasteful and I don't think there will be a problem.

LucKie355
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I think that's the best way to look at it. Just keep it tasteful and I don't think there will be a problem.

Which is already mentioned in the forum rules. Rule #12 to be specific. :)

-K

Juanita
01-09-2008, 11:14 AM
:lol: or you could just ban the specific guy/person.

Sephro
01-09-2008, 11:15 AM
yeah but would it follow every rule? if we mention smoking does that make it rated R :p

iunno
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
^^ That's what made me think about this. Not saying you where wrong to edit but I just had never saw that you can not make references to things such as drugs.

So what are the general opinions of Drug references. Of course if someone comes up and says "Hey who loves heroin?" that would be against the rules. But what about casual drug jokes... like "I don't know what I was thinking. I really need to stop smoking crack."

Sexual references without being gratuitous?

I think that without a real concrete rules the mods are put in an awkward place too.

Maybe just make it so it has to follow the PG-13 rules? Maybe I'm just looking too into this? :lol:

trust me dude, like i said before i'm probably the worse in OT but i say things at other's discretion, keeping in mind there's stuff (i don't see as being bad) that would drive certain people bat-**** crazy. :lol:

but, like scott said to not over analyze the matter, just keep it tasteful and I don't think there will be a problem.

i knew it was 'aimed' at me, but not with ill intention and rather than NOT including ALL members, we are taking the census into account. word?

Sephro
01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
It wasn't really aimed at you. Like I said it was just that that made me go "That's against the rules? Maybe I should read the rules... where are they?" :lol:

Stime187
01-09-2008, 11:22 AM
It wasn't really aimed at you. Like I said it was just that that made me go "That's against the rules? Maybe I should read the rules... where are they?" :lol:

Yeah, don't read into it too much. Just keep it tasteful, think about your audience and you'll be fine.

jacobsen1
01-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, but I'm never keeping it "tasteful"... :lol:

I agree, we do need some sort of concrete rules. I say stuff all the time that can be taken the wrong way. It's my sarcastic off color sense of humor... But I can't have my own set of rules, so we need to agree on where to draw the line, draw it, and stick to it. FOR EVERYONE!

beezwax
01-09-2008, 11:28 AM
subscribed...

iunno
01-09-2008, 11:28 AM

liar! :lol:

Alchemy-Z
01-09-2008, 11:32 AM
On one forum we had a Sarcasum Smiley so that anyone reading would know if that person was being seriouse or not...since people can take stuff the wrong way.

example:

what we really need in the rules is everyone has to use T-bert avatars :D

Sephro
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I try to use smiley's to show sarcasm since that can be taken the wrong way.

Like when you send a sarcastic text message to your GF :lol:

Stime187
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I try to use smiley's to show sarcasm since that can be taken the wrong way.

Like when you send a sarcastic text message to your GF :lol:

I just never texted my girlfriend. Never ended well. :lol:

Alchemy-Z
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
yeah cause I know on some days depending on mood I read stuff and think...well okay.

then the same thing at a different time and laugh.

I do try to bring my sense of humor anytime I surf a forum tho.

Juanita
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
And honestly, I've been posting less because of something someone said to me that is on the no no list. It hurt my feelings. :(

Stime187
01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
And honestly, I've been posting less because of something someone said to me that is on the no no list. It hurt my feelings. :(

Are you serious or kidding?

If serious, PM a mod or report the post...

Sephro
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM

PM the person that said it? You may have read it differently than it was intended.

Juanita
01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
You're probably right, but I still took it the wrong way. It may have been joking but there was no smiley so I didn't know how to take it.

iunno
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
check your PM's please

subimatt
01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
You're probably right, but I still took it the wrong way. It may have been joking but there was no smiley so I didn't know how to take it.

Marisa, if anything bothers you or hurts your feelings, let one of the Mods know so we can take care of it. We dont want anyone to be offended or hurt whether the post is joking or not. This is a place where everyone should feel comfortable.

tbert
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Is this NSOP's first drama? *sniff

I am so proud.

In case, anyone misunderstands it, let me clarify: I do not like creating or involving in OT-like drama. I am joking here, and please don't think for one minute that I am trying to make fun of something that was offensive to you Marisa. :)

LucKie355
01-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Ok, we are putting a copy of the forum rules into Off Topic. Just because something isn't specifically in the rules does not mean that it is allowed. Please use your best judgement before creating a thread or replying to someone's post.

-K

tbert
01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
We could alleviate most of the problems if we impose a minimum forum entry age, say 21?

Juanita
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I'M FINE!! :discomonkey:

Stime187
01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
We could alleviate most of the problems if we impose a minimum forum entry age, say 21?

I don't think age is an issue. Hell, one moderator isn't even 16 but doesn't act like it. Also, a good friend of mine is on here an he isn't 21 but you'd never know.

I think it'd be more an issue of certain people rather than birthday. :p

<-- Would barely make the 21 cut.

jblaze5779
01-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Is this NSOP's first drama? *sniff

I am so proud.

I wish...

tbert
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think age is an issue. Hell, one moderator isn't even 16 but doesn't act like it. Also, a good friend of mine is on here an he isn't 21 but you'd never know.

I think it'd be more an issue of certain people rather than birthday. :p

<-- Would barely make the 21 cut.
Maybe we can require certain personality/behavioral tests for admittance, then. And I would reaaallllyyyy hope that the existing members would be grandfathered. :p