PDA

View Full Version : So the sunset thing was fairly successful...

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

thechickencow
08-23-2009, 10:55 AM
We had lots of contributors so far (more than recent challenges, homeworks, etc).

What should we do to keep this type of thing going? The homeworks seem to be something we could do, but nobody seems to be as excited about them versus the sunset thing.

Why not have a "Shoot xxxxxx on xxxxx" series where you have to shoot the thing on a specific day, and the topics can be up to anyone, and the dates as well. Weekend days seem to work well for most, but it could be any day, right?

Glass Man
08-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Sunsets are easy for me, since I can shoot straight off our deck any day of the week. Other topics or weekdays could be tougher for me to participate.

thechickencow
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
That could be taken into account.

I was thinking of stuff today and it'd be cool to have random topics that everybody can do. People, colors, etc.

danm
08-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I like this.

thomps6s
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
subscribed

Warus
08-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah can you send me a reminder of the actual day it's on because this numbnuts proved he sucks at reading.

ride5000
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
i think we need more boob shot contests

jacobsen1
08-24-2009, 09:35 AM
^ certainly not a bad idea. ;)

and I was also thinking about this Jay, so thanks for brining it up... But you know what this reminded me of MORE than challenges/HW? A PAD with the same suggested subject. ;) Maybe we just try to get PADs going a bit more with suggested topics, but once a week? Or hell, maybe just the shot on the same day once a week/month? IE with the sunset thread, you didn't have to shoot an actual sunset landscape shot, Marks was more urban, Shawn's more candid, etc etc... So the limeframe limit may have put someone off which a PAD approach might avoid?

but yes, we should get something like this going at least monthly, if not weekly. HOW do we get more people interested? Personally, I find homework/challenges too tough to be creative and get something I'm happy with. But just a "everyone post SOMETHING from X date" sounds less intimidating even for me? So maybe that's why it worked out better?

Alchemy-Z
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Just make it a broad subject and then pick a Date

Like Night Time Picture - on (DATE)

Morning Picture - on (Date)

Urban Scene - on (Date)

Moon - on (Date)

other suggestions

Sunrise
Sunset
Landscape
Water
People
Self Portrait
B&W of anything
Food
Birds eye View
Worms eye view

thomps6s
08-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Something to consider, I never look at the Homework/challenges forum mainly because i always click on "New Posts"
If there was a way for that topic to pop up when viewing that way or in a User's CP, that would be better.
Can a user subscribe to a sub-forum?

MK19
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Some great ideas in here. I think PAD pushes some people too hard to get a worthy shot (I won't post a stuipd cell phone photo just to get my % up) and themed challenges per week seem a little bit more realistic for a lot of us.

Redlineracer12
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
This:

themed challenges per week seem a little bit more realistic for a lot of us.

jacobsen1
08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Something to consider, I never look at the Homework/challenges forum mainly because i always click on "New Posts"
If there was a way for that topic to pop up when viewing that way or in a User's CP, that would be better.
Can a user subscribe to a sub-forum?

in a forum, at the topish there's "forum tools". Subscribe is one (with or without email notifications). Same for threads. If you subscribe, they show up in your CP (on the main CP screen). Most recent activity at the top just like a search. Check and see if you can do that though shawn because it may be an admin thing?

Some great ideas in here. I think PAD pushes some people too hard to get a worthy shot (I won't post a stuipd cell phone photo just to get my % up) and themed challenges per week seem a little bit more realistic for a lot of us.

I agree 100%, I was just saying it FELT like a PAD day. But that's why one a week or month with a very broad/vague (more so than challenges) subject could work so well. :)

CIM_Photography
08-24-2009, 11:36 AM
PAD = photo-a-day?

MK19
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree 100%, I was just saying it FELT like a PAD day. But that's why one a week or month with a very broad/vague (more so than challenges) subject could work so well. :)

You da man ;)

PAD = photo-a-day?

Yep

thomps6s
08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
in a forum, at the topish there's "forum tools". Subscribe is one (with or without email notifications). Same for threads. If you subscribe, they show up in your CP (on the main CP screen). Most recent activity at the top just like a search. Check and see if you can do that though shawn because it may be an admin thing?

Yeah, that works.

That would only work for those that know and want to track these challenges. How can we get it more noticeable to anyone and everyone?

thechickencow
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's my idea for the next one:
The next "Everybody Shoots Something" thing - Saturday 8/29 - "Motion" - NSOP Forums

I put it in sharing, all of us should work to bump it up so as many people see as possible.

QJ
08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Reminds me of the weekly scavenger hunt I was doing on flickr but set for a specific day and not the whole week. I like that. It puts the goal on a tighter schedule. I'm down. If I can remember...