PDA

View Full Version : lenses for an XTi?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

eachin
12-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Hello, I'm new to these forums, from nasioc.

I'm a relative n00b with photography. I've been using a point and shoot for 4 years with quite a bit of success but I would really like to get into the DSLR world. I've been doing some research and it sounds like the XTi would make for a good beginners SLR.

So my next big choice is lenses. I shoot a lot of landscapes as well as action shots (snowboarding, mountain biking etc), and some wild life telephoto stuff too. I'd like to get into some more macro shots and maybe some longer exposures of northern lights (my current point and shoot sucks at those).

I'd like to start with one or 2 lenses that will fulfill most of my requirements if possible. money IS a concern, however, I am seriously tempted to get into L class lenses from the get go rather than replacing stuff in a year or 2 if i find them to be inadequate. On the other hand, there is no way I can afford 2 L class lenses. Even one would be a stretch for me.

I am currently considering the sigma 17-70, the 50mm f1.8 (it's just so cheap and apparently great image quality)

I would love to get a EF 70-200mm f/4L and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L but I don't know if i can bring myself to spend enough for one let alone both of those lenses.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anything I need to know about purchasing from BH as a Canadian?

Stime187
12-31-2007, 09:10 PM
17-70 Sigma, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 L. AWESOME setup in my opinion. I have a 17-70 for sale by the way...

Sigma 17-70 vs. Canon 17-40 L (a test I did, I own both):
http://newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3423

Sigma 17-70 For Sale:
http://newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4320

I have nothing to add though, seriously, I LOVED having that setup. 17-70 to 70-200 f/4 and the 50 f/1.8 just because it was cheap and so damn good.

Go for it, you've done your research and it sounds like you definitely way ahead of the average dSLR n00b without even owning one yet. The XTi is a great camera as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

- Scott

Markitos
12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
...and the 50 f/1.8 just because it was cheap and so damn good.

QFT. Good in Nikon, Canon, and old-ass Olympus flavors!

subimatt
12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Good news and Bad news... Good news is looks like you have done some research and have a good idea of what you want. Bad news is that what you want, no single lens is going to accomplish.

70-200 f4 L. Perfect lens for the $$. L quality without the huge sticker. If you shoot during the day or with a tripod, dont worry about the IS.

The 24-70L is my fav. Lens period. I use it 95% of the time but I dont shoot anything that you shoot. on the cropped body if your doing more action/ landscapes you may want something a little wider with IS. Therefore the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS would be my recommendation. Right around the same price as the 24-70, takes great photos, good IQ just without the "L" badging.

50 f1.8 is a must for the price, best tool you can buy.

As far as replacing equipment... you will find camera gear and lenses hold their value incredibly well. Ask Rattles hes upgraded equipement and turned a profit doing so before so its not an issue IMO. Any other questions just ask.

thechickencow
12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
You seem to have done your research, and seem to have a good understanding of what you want. Budget wise I started out with not wanting to spend too much to get a feel for what focal ranges I actually use, here's what I found for myself:

I had the 50 f/1.8, which is a really good lens, its taught me a lot. My biggest holdback on this was I don't like the fact that I'm constantly having to move to fit the pic into the frame, and I found it typically wasn't wide enough for me. That said its a great lens and its really tough to NOT pick one up.

I used the kit 18-55, and found myself loving the wider end of the kit lens, moreso than the longer end. I decided to get a 10-20mm sigma which I've decided is awesome, and I love it. I can't wait for spring/summer/fall again to shoot more outside when my hands aren't freezing. I think something like the 17-70 would be awesome though because its pretty wide and at the same time has a good useful range that can be used for a lot of different situations.

I also picked up a cheap 70-300mm as I wanted to see what it was like to have something longer, and I knew I needed it for stuff like wakeboarding, rally, ice racing, etc. I love the lens, but don't like the speed (aperature). I just got a 70-200 f/2.8 which will undoubtedly be an improvement when shooting stuff like that, and its great for other longer stuff too. (my cheapie is for sale in the for sale forum in my digital rebel thread)

eachin
01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the great replies.

The EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS is a very interesting prospect I hadn't considered yet. It's a little expensive, but then so are most of the nice lenses i'm considering. I really like the idea of IS but thought most of them were a bit too pricy. I DO find that a number of my sports shots are a little blurry, most of the time because i'm pumping adrenaline and my hands are a little shaky.

I don't think I can find more than $1100 for lenses (even that's a stretch), would the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS and a nifty fifty make for a reasonable start for me? I should be able to do everything except telephoto with that setup right? I'm torn between getting one really nice lense (plus nifty fifty) or a couple of decent lenses to cover more bases.

Also, i remember reading a couple of weeks ago about a 10% off coupon at BH for the XTi bringing it down to 479, is that still good? I can't seem to find mention of it anywhere.

Obviously I will need memory and some kind of camera bag, are there any other relatively cheap accessories I should be considering? filters or lense hoods or anything?

Thanks again,
Kyle

subimatt
01-01-2008, 12:11 PM
479 for an XTi body is a good deal. So what are your serious contenders now? If you need IS, the 17-55 is a great mix of WA and zoom, plus its fast. You may not even need the 50 at that point, since its really only a stop faster, and the AF/ IS in the 17-55 will prob serve you much better/ make up the stop difference than the nifty in that dept.

eachin
01-01-2008, 12:24 PM
i guess serious contenders are the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS,

OR the sigma 17-70 and some 70-200ish lense i could get for under $600 and be happy with for a while

It sounds to me like the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS might cover most of my needs which would go a long way towards me being able to justify spending that much. While I do take some telephoto shots they are probably my least common shots and the one area I wouldn't mind compromising on, at least for now.

would the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS / nifty fifty be good for macro/long exposures of northern lights?

Also, my parents are building their retirement home in the okanagan valley where it's quite dark and so they are seriously considering a nice telescope, is it possible to connect an XTi to a nice telescope? I assume it would depend on the telescope but I really know nothing about that stuff. I just thought it might be a neat prospect.

Stime187
01-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Let me just hop in here and say this...

If you want to take long exposures, landscapes, and macro there is NO reason to buy the 17-55 f/2.8, you're paying a premium for a faster lens (f/2.8) and IS that won't be relevant to you. All of the above should be shot from a tripod. The Sigma 17-70 is THE landscape/long exposure lens for an XTi (and all crop cameras)... no question in my mind. My website and the lens comparison I posted above should vouch for this.

WOW! I just checked the price on the 17-55 f/2.8... $900! :eek: You could buy the 17-70 and 70-200 f/4 L for that and have an awesome setup. I just re-read your post, looks like you thought of that.

This is a no-brainer to me.

I'd put the 17-70 Sigma against the 17-55 ALONE. But...

Sigma 17-70 + Canon 70-200 f/4 > Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS for your needs.

subimatt
01-01-2008, 12:50 PM
^ he also does sports/ action as well Scott.

Stime187
01-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Okay, I missed the middle one of his posts, but STILL the 17-70 is f/2.8 on the wide end and man, I just can't get past that $900 price tag, especially for a beginner.

subimatt
01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Okay, I missed the middle one of his posts, but STILL the 17-70 is f/2.8 on the wide end and man, I just can't get past that $900 price tag, especially for a beginner.

I just think its a better beginner alternative to the 24-70L that he was looking at before hand.

But yea, I agree on either the 17-55 IS or the 17-70 and 70-200 f4 combo :)

Stime187
01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Just considering the sheer quality of the Sigma 17-70 and Canon 70-200 f/4, I just can't imagine spending $900 on one lens that's not only similar to the Sigma 17-70, but has a bit shorter focal range even.

eachin
01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
bh is out of stock on the sigma 17-70 and i need the gear asap for an upcoming trip so I pulled the trigger on the XTi and the nifty fifty. I'll get another lens or 2 when i have more time to make the decision and the sigma 17-70 is in stock. That's the direction i'm leaning at present anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys.

eachin
01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
17-70 Sigma, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 L. AWESOME setup in my opinion. I have a 17-70 for sale by the way...

Sigma 17-70 vs. Canon 17-40 L (a test I did, I own both):
http://newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3423

Sigma 17-70 For Sale:
http://newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4320

I have nothing to add though, seriously, I LOVED having that setup. 17-70 to 70-200 f/4 and the 50 f/1.8 just because it was cheap and so damn good.

Go for it, you've done your research and it sounds like you definitely way ahead of the average dSLR n00b without even owning one yet. The XTi is a great camera as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

- Scott

It seems I don't have permission to view the for sale forum..

I need > 10 posts right?

I have 11 (make that 12). Perhaps my account is in some queue that needs processing?

Stime187
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Weird, yes, I thought it was 10+ post to see the forum. I'll report the thread and see if anyone else can help out.

- Scott

Stime187
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Try it now. Ben (jacobsen1) took care of it for you, we hope.

eachin
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Looks good now, thanks a lot.

billd92
01-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have opinions on Tamron lenses?
I'm considering buying a XTi package that includes:

Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lens
Tamron 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD AF Macro Lens
Titanium .45x Wide Angle Lens
Titanium 2X Telephoto Lens

I'm guessing that these are not that great?

Thanks,
Bill

Stime187
01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm considering buying a XTi package that includes:

Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lens
Tamron 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD AF Macro Lens
Titanium .45x Wide Angle Lens
Titanium 2X Telephoto Lens

I'm guessing that these are not that great?

Thanks,
Bill

I don't even know what that means or how it would be relevant to a dSLR. That alone would make me steer clear of that package.

As for the Tamrons, as a brand they are pretty good, but I would consider those two lenses to be pretty average or worse.

Your best bet is to get educated in what you need or want, then to purchase lenses with those specific needs in mind. What lenses/equipment do you have right now?

- Scott

_L_U_C_A_
01-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Most of the reviews ive read about Tamron are more negative than positive. Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Stime187
01-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Most of the reviews ive read about Tamron are more negative than positive. Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

That's not entirely true. You can easily get an incredible lens for cheap at times, spend a ton of money and get something pretty good, or spend nothing, get nothing and spend a ton and get an awesome lens.

Lens buying is a knowledge endeavor. You have to know what you want and what you need to come out good in the end.

As for Tamrons, I'll say it again. Some Tamron lenses are quite good, I don't think the two you listed are part of that group.