PDA

View Full Version : let's talk about tripods

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

iunno
07-22-2007, 04:07 PM
what are some key points/features to look for in a tripod?
what is the price range for beginner, amateur and professional tripods?
what kind of tripod do you have and what do you use it for?

jblaze5779
07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a crap-pod right now; I think it's a targus. I received it as a gift and it holds my camera still, so I guess it's not that bad. I do have to unscrew several things just to swivel the camera around though so that kind of sucks. Once again it all comes down to budget for me.

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 04:23 PM
what are some key points/features to look for in a tripod?

Things to look for are cylindrical legs, no stamped metals in other shapes like hexagons or squares or god forbid three sided/open designs. Aluminum or carbon fiber are preference and budget issues, wood is also favored by some but ergonomics with some of those is mixed. Look for a tripod with solid locking mechanisms and easy to use adjustments/tightening bolts if necessary. The number of depends on how compact you want it. more sections make it shorter when closed up but less stable when extended. I recommend something that puts the camera as close to your eye level as possible when fully extended without using the center post. It's nice to be able to get close to eye level when you want it without reducing stability by using the center post.

As far as heads go, it really depends on what you like. Pan tilt heads are affordable, effective and solid. Ballheads are better IMO but the inexpensive ones aren't worth it. I prefer ballheads that run you at least $200, they aren't cheap.

what is the price range for beginner, amateur and professional tripods?
You can get beginner aluminum tripod legs for under $100, in fact you can get whole tripod kits including a head for around $100 that aren't half bad (I'd have to look but I recall a Calumet model that looks to be a Bogen ripoff). Amateur or midlevel tripod kits are generally still aluminum and in the $100-250 range with head depending on legs and head type, among other things. Most amateurs I know look to budget between $150 and 200 max, but again those calumet legs aren't a bad way to go (probably made by bogen in fact). If an amateur is looking to go with something like carbon fiber you can pretty much double that $200-250 to cover the legs and a head. Generally speaking I consider beginner pods to be basic and light weight aluminum legs while amateur are decent but not expensive aluminum leg based tripods and amateur IMO doesn't really include the better ball heads.

Pro legs vary a lot, and depend on type, size, features and materials. I'd loosely say they start at around $300 for some of the improved aluminum legs.

what kind of tripod do you have and what do you use it for?
I have the Gitzo G1257 legs which were around $485 and a Markins M10 ballhead which was around $330. I also use Kirk plates which add a few hundred to that total as well. I use it primarily for hiking around and shooting nature/landscapes but also for macro photography support.

Arca Swiss style plates are great because they can come custom fitted for various lenses or camera bodies (most people buy plates from Kirk or Really Right Stuff) and they make mounting and working with things a lot smoother and easier IMO.

For a beginner or an amateur on a budget I would recommend Bogen legs and Bogen pan tilt heads. Gitzo legs are the next step up in quality and price, generally speaking. There are plenty of other brands out there but these are the only ones I've ever really felt the desire to own or use. Bogen and Gitzo also make a handful of "ok" affordable ballheads.

Amusingly, Bogen and Gitzo are both part of the same company these days.

talon95tsi
07-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I use a Slik 700DX Pro. I got a brand new one for free from work. It's very solid, built like a tank, but it is heavy to carry around (about 7 lbs). But after using a good tripod though, I would never go back to the cheaper, flimsy one. It has a pan and tilt head with dual bubble levels which is fine for me at the moment, I don't think I need a ballhead yet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131427-REG/Slik_615315_700DX_Pro_Tripod.html

benjamin

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Slik & Velbon both make affordable options for beginners or amateurs.

They've always fallen apart for me, unfortunately. My father has one of those two, and they've been slowly disassembling themselves over the years, sometimes in ways that require glue to put them back together.

LateApex
07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
I've been in the market for a tripod for some time. I'm using a POS Sunpak I got with some BestBuy money I had. It's basically about the worst tripod you could spend money on. :lol:

Here's a good article regarding tripods:
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Basically, it states that if you're serious about photography, you'll end up with a high dollar tripod eventually, and you might as well buy a nice one to start with. Sounds good, but who has $1000+ to blow on a tripod when they are starting out? Not me.

I've been looking at the Bogen 190x Pro legs with a ballhead that takes arca-swiss plates. That way I can at least buy some nice Gitzo legs later and not have to switch from the Bogen plates. Haven't decided on a ballhead yet.

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Basically, it states that if you're serious about photography, you'll end up with a high dollar tripod eventually, and you might as well buy a nice one to start with. Sounds good, but who has $1000+ to blow on a tripod when they are starting out? Not me.

He's pretty much right. I have a couple of friends who have gone down the same path as I have. Eventually you'll get fed up with something about the cheaper tripods, you'll need a new component or something else will happen and you'll just jump feet first in to the $1000 tripods. It's well worth it, I'm glad I did it and I would 100% do it over again.

My new setup weighs less than half what my first aluminum bogen tripod with pan tilt head did (which itself was around $220).

jacobsen1
07-22-2007, 07:44 PM
here's my personal outlook on tripods:
1)don't buy anything with plastic parts
2) buy a halfway decent head and "bare" legs over kick ass legs and a crap head.
3) spend whatever it takes to make you like your tripod so you'll actually use it. ie you need a sexy head to take it with you, spend the extra $$$ to you will do it... Tripods are of ZERO value if you don't use them.

that said I still have my first tripod I ever bought. It's 13 years old and still works perfect. It's an old bogen with no feature. The screw style leg locks and a simple center head that just goes up/down, nothing more. It's a 3211 (not made any more) I think. I also had a 3 way head on it that SUCKED. Get a ball head with a QR (quick release) plate. Inexpensive heads are OK, just make sure they can hold roughly twice your camera weight (otherwise if you're close to the limit they creep).

Now I've owned a reallyrightstuff BH-40 and sold it for an acratech. The acratech is lighter and has more holding power and is easier to setup... For less money too, but it's not as sexy... Also "swiss" style plates are awesome, get them if you can afford them. Also if you can get an L bracket as it's so nice for setting everything up (but $100 just for a bracket...) I also have a new gitzo carbon set of legs. Work bought them for me (I'd never spend that much $$$) and they are pure sex. My current legs+head+plate are easily $1,000+ and there is a difference... But only in speed and easy to carry. Same function as my previous ~$150 setup... So start with that and work up. I still use my old legs for studio work (swapping my head onto it) Just make sure you spend a little extra for something with a QR plate and that will hold you system... If not it's worthless (anything with plastic).

Ben

jacobsen1
07-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Amusingly, Bogen and Gitzo are both part of the same company these days.

yeah, the only difference?
warranties!
gitzo is lifetime, but you pay for it...

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Aside from the speed/ease of adjusting my ballhead and the convenience of my kirk L brackets, my new tripod does everything the old one did for at least 5x the price.

The difference? I'll carry it anywhere and it isn't a heavy PITA to carry around.

Ben is exactly right, spend whatever you have to spend, but buy a tripod you'll actually carry with you. I've received comments from old friends and some profs that I'm carrying around quite a nice tripod, but the next thing most of them say is that it's only worth it when you carry it with you. A lot of people want to leave their heavy tripods at home or in the car. My old setup was around 9 pounds, my new one is just barely over four. It makes a huge difference.

mkfotos
07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
I quickly went from a $20 WalMart crap-od, to an Amvona, to two carbon Gitzos (1227 for general use, and 1325 for my Sigmonster), and one ballhead, the Acratech UBH V2. Just this weekend I bought a Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom model for when I want to travel very light, and be inconspicuous; apparently using tripods in DC is a dicey proposition ::)

The good thing about cheap tripods is that even when you do outgrow them, they can still be used for other things, like holding flashes, reflectors, foam boards, etc., so starting cheap isn't really a waste of money.

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
If it's really cheap, then it's not a waste of money. But if you want something just to hold flashes, a $200 midrangeish pod is overkill.

I need to get a $30 tripod or two for mounting stuff.

distorto
07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
are the gorilla pods good? do they lose their ability to hold a shape after time?

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
I've been interested in those Gorilla pods too. I have the previous "hot item" portable tripod, the Ultrapod II (I think that's the name) but the Gorilla pods look like a nice replacement.

mkfotos
07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
are the gorilla pods good? do they lose their ability to hold a shape after time?

I'd like to know too, but having just bought it, I have no idea yet.

Having tried it tonight, it's just strong enough for a 5D and 70-200 f/4 IS L. I'd actually prefer if it were stiffer. I'll see how it does with my ballhead attached, seeing that attaching it directly to the 5D makes it hard to adjust/level out.

Colorblinded
07-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a no go for my camera.

mkfotos
07-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a no go for my camera.

1D series? Yeah, probably not. I don't have mine here, but I doubt it would hold a 1D series with more than some short, light lens, like a 50/1.4, if that.

jacobsen1
07-23-2007, 08:57 AM
oh, another thing, make sure you make it easy to carry the tripod too. Strap, bag, whatever it takes to make it easy. Personally I have the Optech tripod trap:
http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=50&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=7
and it's super easy/fast to use. I end up with it over one shoulder and the camera bag over the other. Bandalero style because that's how I roll... :lol:

Colorblinded
07-23-2007, 09:02 AM
oh, another thing, make sure you make it easy to carry the tripod too. Strap, bag, whatever it takes to make it easy. Personally I have the Optech tripod trap:
http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=50&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=7
and it's super easy/fast to use. I end up with it over one shoulder and the camera bag over the other. Bandalero style because that's how I roll... :lol:

It's funny, I used one of those on my aluminum Bogen (and it still got uncomfortable), but I don't have one for my Gitzo and I've yet to find myself wanting one.

jacobsen1
07-23-2007, 09:08 AM
how do you carry it then? Over the shoulder?

Colorblinded
07-23-2007, 09:12 AM
how do you carry it then? Over the shoulder?

Frequently I do that, otherwise I just carry it normally. It seriously isn't enough weight for me to pay it much mind. If I'm going a long ways I have been known to tangle a tripod up in my bag straps so I don't have to hand carry it.

jacobsen1
07-23-2007, 09:16 AM
yeah, I'm using shoulder bags or the chest mount mostly now, so the tripod NEEDs it's own strap. I'm not a big fan of hand holding anything though so that's why I have the strap. Honestly I got it back when I broke my pelvis as I was on crutches and NEEDED something... :lol: I got so used to it then that I make sure I have one on any legs I plan on carrying...

this was me on crutches with camera gear (look close, I'm only using the chest bag, the one that looks like it's in my right hand is someone behind me. Ignore my goofy ass facial expression... :lol: ):
http://www.pbase.com/benjacobsen/image/55531693/large.jpg

sixtsix
07-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I've been in the market for a tripod for some time. I'm using a POS Sunpak I got with some BestBuy money I had. It's basically about the worst tripod you could spend money on. :lol:

I probably have the same one, for the same reason.
Though I have a limited amount of equipment and have never used any other kind. Guess I don't know what I'm missing. :)
I'll enjoy my ignorance so it doesn't cost me any more money.

mkfotos
07-23-2007, 11:24 PM
For my 1227 (or is it the 1257? don't remember) I use the Think Tank Bazooka: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_Bzka.php

The Tamrac Expedition 6 I have also has a clean way to strap a tripod to it.

One day I got the bug to go to the beach to shoot birds, surfers, and jet skiers. Had the Sigmonster in the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600AW (it's not much smaller than my torso), 1DMKIIN attached, with the Gitzo 1325 and Bogen 3421 strapped to the side... all of this, on my back, riding down the interstate on my bike. Yeah, it would've been a bad scene had I crashed. Anyways, got there, got some good shots, made it home. wish I had a pic of me on the bike. Probably scared some people with my rocket launcher :P

Colorblinded
07-24-2007, 01:59 AM
I'd like something like that thinktank that's hard cased and doesn't extend. Good for travel.

bleuquila
07-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I just bought my first tripod combo a few weeks ago, for a trip that was going to be a lot of hiking, so I wanted something fairly lightweight, but I had almost no budget left at that point :( I went to a local camera store to fondle the wares (and choke at the prices) and I ended up being very impressed with the feel and build of Induro brand tripods and heads. What I ended up doing was splurging a bit on the head and got the Induro INDM01 DM-01 Ballhead (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486897-REG/Induro_480001_DM_01_Ballhead_with_Quick.html) for like $176
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/486897.jpg

And then I couldn't afford the legs I wanted, which would have been the Induro c-series probably C014 which weighs 2.3 lbs and can support 8.8. Instead I cheaped out and got the aluminum A014 for $90 that weighs 2.6 lbs and can support 5.5. That's sort of borderline what I was at with a 20D, lens and the ballhead, but the legs performed fine. I'll replace them if I notice any creeping, but I guess if they work fine I won't bother :lol:

As a bonus, the Induro legs come with their own carrying case, or you can just clip the strap onto them, which I found nice for hiking; I don't like to hold on to anything.

Colorblinded
07-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Weight handling is usually less a matter of slipping/creeping if they are designed well, but being able to handle vibrations.

jacobsen1
07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
let us know how that enduro holds up. I've heard a lot of good things about the cheap knock offs that they are actually a decent value. Not as nice as the $$$ stuff, but for what you pay they are better than most of us would think.

Colorblinded
08-03-2007, 01:06 AM
For my 1227 (or is it the 1257? don't remember) I use the Think Tank Bazooka: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_Bzka.php
rrrfggrrgg nobody has these in the area, or in Cincinnati

jacobsen1
08-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I think thinktank has had some supply issues lately. I ordered a belt and lens case 2 months ago and finally got the call 2 days ago that it was in... Not sure if they're getting them made overseas or what, but their stuff can be hard to track down which can be annoying. :mad:

Have you tried calling all their online retailers? I ordered my recent lens case at Penn Camera. My original was from thinktank direct.

Colorblinded
08-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I intend to call their retailers later today. I'm at the airport now, but if I can get a thinktank before I leave Cincinnati next thursday I might, otherwise I'll have a retailer ship it to me in Rochester.

It's getting tiresome taking the head off my tripod each time and putting both back in their original boxes so I can travel with them (although the Gitzo box may provide more protection than the ThinkTank Bazooka does!)

jacobsen1
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Wait, how are you traveling with it?
Airplanes as checked baggage?

I just sling mine over my shoulder on it's strap. Never had a problem.
I put it in the overhead bin once I get to my seat.

Colorblinded
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Well the problem for me is that I carry my camera & computer in two bags because I mostly fly on small planes where a combo camera-computer bag won't fit as carry on (camera in overhead, computer under the seat in front of me). My camera bag alone needs to be firmly shoved in to the overheads to fit. I don't think they'll take kindly to me taking the bazooka on as a third.

How stiff/firm is this case?

jacobsen1
08-06-2007, 10:04 AM
What are you bringing that's so big? My Stealth reporter 650 fits under the seat in front of me with 4 lenses (12~24mm, 24~70mm, 70~200mm, and a TS-E) 2 bodies, 2 TCs and it could still have a laptop (I load it with magazines that are the same size). Then I just have the tripod with that...

Is this for work or for fun?

I take that bag with me on vacations even and load with with all my camera gear and any vacation/flying type crap I need/want (gameboys, GPS, PSP, flashlight, leatherwussy, etc) and it still fits under the seat as one bag.

I'm just wondering what you're doing that you need more gear than that? Lights or something like that?

You could also just pack your tripod in with you clothes in whatever bag you check. They'll pad it sufficiently. I then wire tie any checked bags shut. That way I know if they've opened it so I need to verify everything is there or not. With the normal TSA approved. locks you don't know if they've opened it until it's too late usually (excited to be there I leave the airport to get home/to the hotel, open the bag, see the note, then see that something is missing).

$.02
YMMV
Ben

Colorblinded
08-06-2007, 10:18 AM
It's all for fun/family vacation.

Like I said, small planes. My Stealth Reporter 650 would never fit in these planes with a laptop. The bag I use is just wide/deep enough to hold my 1D with L plate (which makes it 1/4" wider) and it barely fits in the overheads. The under seat spacing under the Canadair jets is a little bigger but not enough for my 650.

When travelling with my 650 I'd usually carry my 1D Mk II, 17-40 4L, 70-200 2.8, 50 1.5, 100 2.8 USM macro, 2x tc, 550EX, and assorted stuff including batteries, MP3 player, point & shoot and finally my laptop. But that would be travelling by car, because I rarely find myself on planes big enough for such a bag.

I do pack my tripod with my clothes right now because I can't bring it on board. If my 650 would fit I'd take that and the tripod as my carry ons. I know someone who got screwed out of taking his 650 on one of these jets so I haven't even wanted to try it.

jacobsen1
08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
yeah, sorry, I missed the whole part about small planes.
That does make it a lot harder.
Do they allow more (smaller) carry ons then?

Could you do something where the 2 bags go into on larger bag (that's still carry on legal but doesn't fit) to get to the gate, then once on the plane the parts go where they fit? Also do they allow you to stash the tripod in the forward lockers? I've seen fly rods get stashed up front before and the person had 2 other bags... Just trying to think outside the box and throwing ideas out. Also before you rush out and grab a 5D, make sure you see Idjiit's review on NASIOC.

Ben

Colorblinded
08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
If I could take the tripod on as a third, or strap it on to my shoulder bag and act like it's all part of one deal that might work. Right now I disassemble my head from my tripod, box them, and put them in my duffel bag surrounded by clothes. My tripod won't fit in my rolling suitcase so I have to use my duffel bag. My duffel bag isn't stiff so I use the original boxes to protect the gear. The problems cascade! :lol:

I'd be carrying 4 things with the tripod in the Bazooka rather than 3, but in the end it would be an easier setup to travel with. Most of the time it doesn't seem like the tripod would be a problem to cram in to the overheads with everything else.

Idjiit sounds like he's never used a full frame 35mm camera before. Or even a larger format! eek

The difference between 1.3 and 1x isn't that big IMO. When I switched from 35mm to the 1.3x 1D Mark II it was not much of an adjustment. Personally, I'd like to keep my 1D and own a 5d. Graduate school doesn't pay that well though.

Colorblinded
08-07-2007, 01:32 AM
so how stiff is the bazooka?

MK19
09-11-2008, 11:14 AM
So for say ~$200 what should I look for? The biggest things I like are the levels (makes setting up SO much easier) and the ball heads, which are new to me. Weight is not my biggest concern at this point. I am looking to pick one up over the next few days :)

Edit: AH! I just found you can buy a leveling plate to mount between the tripod and the head. Is that the best route to go if you can't afford th euber oontzy ball head with level?

user errors
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I have the Bogen 055XPROB/488RC2 combo and love it; BH sells it as a package for ~$250 IIRC

MK19
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
This looks cool too: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431884-REG/Acratech_6001_Double_Axis_Spirit_Level.html

The level is really important to me so...

user errors
09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
either the legs or the head on what I have has the level.. it's in my trunk and I can't remember which.. I think the legs

user errors
09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
but a shoe mount level is probably an even better idea because it will be very difficult to level the ballhead without one.

MK19
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
but a shoe mount level is probably an even better idea because it will be very difficult to level the ballhead without one.

Yeah, sounds like the way to go for me :)

jacobsen1
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
The level is really important to me so...

but a shoe mount level is probably an even better idea.

yep:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431884-REG/Acratech_6001_Double_Axis_Spirit_Level.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427166-REG/Jobu_Design_LVL_SA_LVL_SA_Single_Axis_Clear_Bubble .html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419395-REG/Jobu_Design_LVL_PL_2_Axis_Flash_Hot.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431884-REG/Acratech_6001_Double_Axis_Spirit_Level.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194974-REG/Hakuba_HCS14_Opaque_1_Axis_Flash.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113844-REG/Cullmann_CU_78_CU78_Flash_Hot_Shoe.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497875-REG/Dot_Line_DL_5411_2_Axis_Flash_Shoe.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89943-REG/Hama_HA_5410_1_Axis_Flash_Hot.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109779-REG/Kaiser_206385_2_Axis_Flash_Hot.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/263729-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_337_337_Flash_Hot_Shoe.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564583-REG/Dot_Line_DL_5412_3_Axis_Accessory_Shoe.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164909-REG/Hakuba_KPA02_2_Axis_Flash_Hot.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112360-REG/Hama_HA_5411_2_Axis_Flash_Hot.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419394-REG/Jobu_Design_LVL_DB_Bull_s_Eye_Double_Bubble_Level. html

thechickencow
09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
A very easy way to level the camera if you're too cheap for a hotshoe level is to use the focus points as a guide on the horizon, like 'rest' two points that are across from eachother on the waterline or whatever.

jacobsen1
09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
*cough* rule of thirds *cough*

thechickencow
09-11-2008, 12:55 PM
*cough* I move it a little after that and use the lower points or hte higher ones *cough* 40d's live view had grid lines *cough*

jacobsen1
09-11-2008, 01:22 PM
yeah *cough* I've got gridded screens in both my bodies. :wave:

thechickencow
09-11-2008, 01:27 PM
*cough*mythroathurts*cough*

MK19
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Easy girls... all I have is a non-grided D60, for now :devil:

PhatheadWRX
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
MK, what are you looking for? I'm also looking for nice tripod setup. I have a thread over in What to Buy.

I'm torn between the 190XPROB and 055XPROB / 486RC2 ($70) and 488RC2 ($110)
I think I'm sold on the 486RC2, but it doesn't have a pan screw.

+1 on a hot shoe level.

Markitos
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Easy girls... all I have is a non-grided D60, for now :devil:

Your grid is built-in... you just need to turn it on.

MK19
09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
MK, what are you looking for? I'm also looking for nice tripod setup. I have a thread over in What to Buy.

I'm torn between the 190XPROB and 055XPROB / 486RC2 ($70) and 488RC2 ($110)
I think I'm sold on the 486RC2, but it doesn't have a pan screw.

+1 on a hot shoe level.

I am probably going to get a 190XPROB, not sure on what ball and gonna get the hot shoe level.

Your grid is built-in... you just need to turn it on.

I love how you school me. I can't quit you... IByoutellmeto:diaf: :lol:

Reed Goodwin
09-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely say get a hot shoe level if you're wanting a level and a ball head. A level on a tripod is pretty useless at keeping a camera on a ball head level.
Reed

Markitos
09-12-2008, 12:52 AM
I love how you school me. I can't quit you... IByoutellmeto:diaf: :lol:

:lol: The superimposed gridlines are a Nikon thing I miss--I think it's silly that I have to spend $35 to get a screen for my Canons... :unamused:

PhatheadWRX
09-12-2008, 07:17 AM
At least you CAN get a grid screen for your Canon. XSi cannot :(

MK19
09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
:lol: The superimposed gridlines are a Nikon thing I miss--I think it's silly that I have to spend $35 to get a screen for my Canons... :unamused:

I cannot find the gridline setup in my menu :(

BobbyT
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Does this look like a good beginner tripod? It is sold at the local camera shop and I am in need of a decent tripod.
http://www.murphyscamera.com/products.html#DHE:Specsheet:Id:270965:Section:Spec s

jacobsen1
09-12-2008, 09:04 AM
go down and try it out. The biggest issue you'll have with inexpensive tripods is the quality of the plastic parts. Look for how long they feel like they'll last and how well they work. If they don't work perfectly now, they'll fall apart quickly.

BobbyT
09-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I have a monopod made by that company that my monster in law bought me as a birthday gift a couple of years ago. It should have the same plastic locking levers, which still work like new. I guess I will drive over and take a look at it in person.

kensington
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
"... monster in law..."

:lol:

not that I have a problem with mine, it's just funnay

BobbyT
09-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I like my monster in law. But I must still name the beast.

Markitos
09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I cannot find the gridline setup in my menu :(

Doh! Just did some research, and the D40/D60 don't have them... sorry to get your hopes up! :(

MK19
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Doh! Just did some research, and the D40/D60 don't have them... sorry to get your hopes up! :(

Bastage!!!!!! :diaf: :unamused:

meh, I'll live

ppower
12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm in desperate need of getting a real tripod because my Walmart special is falling apart & can't handle the weight of a DSLR.

I had really been considering the Flashpoint CF1228 for its light weight. The input here and other places have me leaning towards the Manfrotto/Bogen 055XPROB for its extra height and extra stability. One question though, can the center column of the Manfrotto be removed like the Flashpoint to make it lighter?

Next is what head to use. I was thinking about $100 but guess I could go to $150ish if it would be something I would notice the difference in. I don't see a need to hold anything super heavy over 18lbs.

Anything I need to pay attention to with Manfrotto's different quick release plates? Just buy the plate that's most expensive assuming it's that way for a reason?

case sensitive
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
the column in the 055xprob does not remove, but does slide horizontally. i really wouldn't worry about it. the 055 is fairly light. lighter than my amvona special anyway.

jacobsen1
12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
with QR plates, you want the smaller rectangular one bogen makes. The octagon is for MF or LF cameras and is unnecessary in terms of weight and price. If you upgrade any one part first, make it the clamp and bracket to a L-bracket. They they're VERY expensive, but once you use one you'll see why. You can put a RRS clamp on a bogen head and legs making it as budget as possible.

The other option is to go with a kirk knockoff head (ball head with acra screw clamp and plate) from one of the chinese places for ~$50. They're not bad (my trunk pod has one).

unamused
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
hmm.... looking to upgrade to a ballhead...

kensington
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
the column in the 055xprob does not remove, but does slide horizontally. i really wouldn't worry about it. the 055 is fairly light. lighter than my amvona special anyway.

+1 I think my ballhead weighs as much as the tripod does so the whole setup for me is heavy but legs are fine. I have the Manfrotto 488RCO head, it's huge but it was all they had the day I needed one so I grabbed it. All in all I am very happy with my first 'real' tripod.

Will 46 and 2
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm in desperate need of getting a real tripod because my Walmart special is falling apart & can't handle the weight of a DSLR.

I had really been considering the Flashpoint CF1228 for its light weight. The input here and other places have me leaning towards the Manfrotto/Bogen 055XPROB for its extra height and extra stability. One question though, can the center column of the Manfrotto be removed like the Flashpoint to make it lighter?

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod w/322RC2 Head and I absolutely love it! The Center Column can be removed and replaced with a smaller (6.9") Center Column for $30. I thought about buying it but after using it for about a year or so now, I don't need it. I love the 322RC2 ball head with the pistol grip. I have a Mamiya RB67 Medium Format camera that is very heavy and the 322 handles it very well. The tripod is very versatile and it's gets very low. Per B&H it will go 3.9" and that sounds about right...
All in all, I certainly don't regret buying this tripod.

Here is a photo that Dave took of my rig.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3338/3549624257_b1c0b63e77.jpg

Hope this helps you!
:)

ppower
01-17-2010, 12:00 PM
I might as well update to this same thread. After looking around and playing with a few tripods, I have found that I really prefer the twist locks and will go ahead for a carbon fiber. So far, I have looked at:

Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT (http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-4-Carbon+fiber-87.html) $330
saw in person and was impressed with how everything works except for the lack of information/reviews I can find on Vanguard. Carbon fiber, twst locks, removeable metal spikes, and center pole moves 180 degrees. Biggest problem is that the center column is offset and probably isn't the most rigid because of that. Any experience/info on Vanguard?

Benro C298M8 (http://www.benro.com/products_details_C-298M8.html#2) $350
I have read horrible stuff on their ballheads but am not really seeing negative stuff on the tripods. However, there's enough about the heads that I'm questioning it. However, everything about it looks great. 90 degree column like the Manfrotto, twist locks, dust/moisture seals, anti-twist legs, spikes, etc. Very impressive feature list but I can't find thorough, knowledgeable tripod reviews. Does anybody have any experience with these or know of any knowlegeable reviews?

Feisol CT3442 (http://www.feisol.net/feisol-tournament-class-foursection-tripod-ct3442-with-tripod-p-31.html) $310 and horizontal adapter (http://www.feisol.net/feisol-vh40-horizontal-adapter-p-71.html) $130
Higher priced, but this looks like the best bet so far. It seems that people are extremely happy with the brand even though I can't find reviews. This is the closest to Gitzo Systematic like Ben uses by coming without a center column but can add short or long columns, leveling column, and two different horizontal adapters (one 90 degree and this one about 120 degrees adjustable). It's only 2.3lbs without a center column, so I could have super light weight when needed or extra weight with more height/adjustability. I also like that the legs fold over to cover the ballhead (if small enough diameter) for even more compact travel length. The negatives are that they don't have anti-twist legs or dust/moisture seals, and it ultimately costs more once I add a horizontal kit.

If Manfrotto would use twist locks, I'd get a CF version of the 055. Unfortunately, I became absolutely sold on how easy to use they are. If I were to bite the bullet for a Gitzo, you only get the horizontal option with the Explorer with the less stable offset pole, or the systematic series that is heavy and has no horizontal adapters available. Any opinions or experience with any of these brands?

NickSchietromo
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
sense we are all talking about tripods I have a question, whats the difference between these two?

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190XPROB-Section-Aluminum-Connect/dp/B002OI1WF8

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-Tripod-Bundle-190XB-Connect/dp/B002OIH9MS/ref=sr_1_112?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1263787707&sr=1-112

why the extra $30?

http://www.amazon.com/Induro-470-002-AB2-Tripod-Black/dp/B0019M629Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1263788777&sr=1-5

and would anyone recommend me buying one of those set ups? thanks

Warus
01-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know a store that sells the individual Manfrotto parts? I snapped the lower clamp bit on one leg right across the alloy and it has been taped together ever since lol.

jciotti
01-18-2010, 01:13 AM
http://www.tripodballhead.com/

I have the PC33ns and it is probably one of the best and lightest ball heads I have ever used. I will go into a detailed review at a later time but check them out.

jacobsen1
01-18-2010, 09:38 AM
sense we are all talking about tripods I have a question, whats the difference between these two?

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-Tripod-Bundle-190XB-Connect/dp/B002OIH9MS/ref=sr_1_112?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1263787707&sr=1-112

why the extra $30?

http://www.amazon.com/Induro-470-002-AB2-Tripod-Black/dp/B0019M629Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1263788777&sr=1-5

any of those seem fine for a first set. If you think you want to get into L-brackets eventually, the ~$50 chinese knockoffs might be a better head to start with. you WILL have to replace it eventually, but at least you start with an acra setup. As for those 2 sets of legs, not sure, but the part numbers ARE different. I'd check out each set on B&H and check the specs to see what the difference is if anything.

ppower
01-18-2010, 09:49 AM

why the extra $30?

The 190XPROB adds their new top spider which allows you to change the column from vertical to horizontal position. Definitely worth $30 to have the option should you ever want/need it. From what I've read, the benro/induro heads are crap, so I wouldn't recommend that option you showed. Definitely get the 190xprob of those choices.

At Adorama you can get a kit adding a tripod bag for $216, or a used excellent condition tripod for $130 & head for $60. Looks lke they have stopped the $50 rebate when buying a manfrotto head & pod together.

ppower
01-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Scratch that, the rebate is on carbon tripods, so you can get a 190CX3 for $200 and the R484 for $60-$50 for $210 total being carbon fiber. Upgrading to the 190CXPRO3 w/ head totals $260 after rebate.

NickSchietromo
01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
any of those seem fine for a first set. If you think you want to get into L-brackets eventually, the ~$50 chinese knockoffs might be a better head to start with. you WILL have to replace it eventually, but at least you start with an acra setup. As for those 2 sets of legs, not sure, but the part numbers ARE different. I'd check out each set on B&H and check the specs to see what the difference is if anything.

The 190XPROB adds their new top spider which allows you to change the column from vertical to horizontal position. Definitely worth $30 to have the option should you ever want/need it. From what I've read, the benro/induro heads are crap, so I wouldn't recommend that option you showed. Definitely get the 190xprob of those choices.

At Adorama you can get a kit adding a tripod bag for $216, or a used excellent condition tripod for $130 & head for $60. Looks lke they have stopped the $50 rebate when buying a manfrotto head & pod together.

Scratch that, the rebate is on carbon tripods, so you can get a 190CX3 for $200 and the R484 for $60-$50 for $210 total being carbon fiber. Upgrading to the 190CXPRO3 w/ head totals $260 after rebate.

alright i think im guna go for the 190XPROB kit soon, maybe once i get my taxes back haha and ben any links to the l plates?(i have a canon xs) :) thanks for the help fellas

jacobsen1
01-19-2010, 09:33 AM
L brackets are from Kirk (B&H carries them) or reallyrightstuff.com. For the cheap ballheads search on adorama for amnova and flashpoint ballheads. I think benro might have a ~$50 option as well.

NickSchietromo
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Ben, i know you said to look for flashpoint heads but what about complete set ups. What do you think about this one for the price?

http://www.adorama.com/FPTP102.html

thechickencow
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I just don't really know that L brackets are that critical. The 484rc2 has served me really well and is light/compact.

jacobsen1
01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Ben, i know you said to look for flashpoint heads but what about complete set ups. What do you think about this one for the price?

http://www.adorama.com/FPTP102.html
for $90, that's not a bad setup, but they're both knock offs, so eventually you'll want to update both. The biggest issue/question with that is how thick are the legs? Thicker is heavier but more stable...

I just don't really know that L brackets are that critical.

L brackets are NOT critical, but use one and try to go back. ;)

I could switch to a lesser head w/o too many tears, but I'd still put a acra clamp on it and use L-brackets.

NickSchietromo
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
well I have a $100 giftcard to b and h so looks like im going to use it towards the tripod. They dont have the flashpoint one so i think im going to go with these legs

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479931-REG/Manfrotto_190XB_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607845-REG/Giottos_MH7002_630_MH7002_630_Ballhead_with_Quick. html#specifications

that head. good setup?

jacobsen1
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
why not go bogen bogen? And I'd get a head that pans (looks like that is JUST a ballhead?).

NickSchietromo
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
whats the difference? haha and i dont know i just thought manfrontto was a better one to go with?

jacobsen1
01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
your head link is NOT a manfroto though, that's my point. And the pan lock means once you set everything up, there's a second knob on the base that lets you change that angle w/o adjusting the ball.

this is a bogen with a QR plate and pan lock:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660319-REG/Manfrotto_494RC2_494_Mini_Ball_Head.html

NickSchietromo
01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
ahhh I see! one more question, is bogan part of manfrontto? i dont get the difference? haha

jacobsen1
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah, I don't either, but it is the same company. I think one is a branch of the other or both are branches of the same parent, but basically, bogen = manfroto. (and yes I know I spell it wrong)

ppower
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Bogen Imaging was the name of the Manfrotto distributor, hence the "by" (or "through") Bogen Imaging. Don't ask me why they didn't call Gitzo "Gitzo by Bogen" as well. The name of the distributor has now changed to Manfrotto Distribution to get rid of the confusing Bogen part. Maybe "B" "en" was getting confused with Benro and Benbo, and they decided to make it all less confusing.

jacobsen1
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't see how Ben could be confusing. :wave:

NickSchietromo
01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Hmmm, sounds a bit confusing to me haha but good to know thanks! And thanks for your help Ben.