PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Photography Crash Course.

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

subimatt
04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
This is something ive been meaning to do for awhile, why not now? I get a ton of general to in depth questions, I figured why not put them in a master thread!

Where to begin? I have a bunch of overview topics ill cover and take you through the process I go through on the wedding day.

Any questions? Ask them! Ill copy the question, answer it and place it here in the OP. Any others, Sam(Idjiit) I know youve done weddings before, so any of your experiences, tips, ect. you want to add feel free.

Ok where to begin, If you are considering wedding photography there are some basic things you are going to need.
1. Knowledge
General knowledge of photography. You should understand how the camera works, what effects what, ect.
2. Confidence
If you dont think you can do it, DONT! Plain and simple.
3. People skills
The photographer for the most part is with the BnG longer than any other vendor, you should be able to be comfortable with your clients and guests, as well as be respectful and professional.
4. Proper Gear
Yes Gear! As much as the photographer is the the one behind the images, Weddings are one field where gear is important! Depending on the event, you will find yourself in a medium lit room while the bride gets ready, to a candle lit church that does not allow flash, to a bright sunny day for formals, and onto a low lit indoor reception that requires flash work. All in one day!

Let me know if you think of anything else, but those are my 4 key things you MUST have, before you think about shooting a
wedding.

Prep
Typically the evening before the wedding I will go through a bunch of steps and check the following.
- ALL batteries charged
- ALL Memory cards formatted and accounted for
- Clean all Lenses
- Clean all Cameras (rocket blower)
- Test each camera
- Test each flash
Pack everything. The morning of, I will recheck the bags I packed the previous night to make sure everything is packed and accounted for.

Equipment
Photographer should have at least the following or similar.
-Backup Camera that the photographer is comfortable with.
-Backup Batteries for Camera, Flashes, and any other item that requires them.
-HIGHLY RECOMMEND a 2.8 standard zoom lens and backup lens with similar coverage or can be used in its place.
-Enough memory to cover the event

What to Wear
For myself, it depends on a few things. How formal is the event, How long is the event, and What is the weather like. My key thing is to make sure I am comfortable. If I am not comfortable, its not going to help me shoot, especially a full day of wedding work. Comfortable doesnt mean dress like a slob either, after all its someones wedding. So use your head and dress accordingly.

QUESTIONS!

A huge question...poses. While it was easy to get those action shots, where people aren't posing, how to you control a large group for those well posed pictures.

We designate a liaison before the wedding begins, we ask the BnG to designate one from each side of the families. They are our "go to" people for both families who know who "uncle bob" and "aunt sue" are. We use them to get the correct people together and adjust accordingly.

Also, how do you contend with other people with cameras? In almost all my group pics, there is always atleast one person who is looking at a different camera.

It depends on the situation, I usually talk to the group while im setting up, then give them a countdown for the photo. If it appears that someone or a few people are not paying attention, ill usually say something to grab their attention.

s7khan
04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
A huge question...poses. While it was easy to get those action shots, where people aren't posing, how to you control a large group for those well posed pictures.

Also, how do you contend with other people with cameras? In almost all my group pics, there is always atleast one person who is looking at a different camera.

subimatt
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
let me know if that helps Saad, or if you need me to go more in depth.

jacobsen1
04-29-2009, 02:34 PM
yeah, for the group shots, the thing I've used (not at weddings, but big events) is to play to the other photogs. Don't ignore them or be a prick, let them shoot too, but just tell them you need your turn and you need them to STOP SHOOTING for a minute. Then once they stop, you get everyone to look at you. If the other people won't stop, just make an ass out of yourself being VERY LOUD or whatever to make sure everyone is looking your way when you actually shoot.

inevitably someone will be too drunk or whatever and not be looking, but as long as you make a good effort **** them. :lol:

s7khan
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
let me know if that helps Saad, or if you need me to go more in depth.

The liason idea is really good. Because I know the group I'm shooting, I know pretty much all of them. But in future reference, that's really good. Thanks!

As for the count down, I tried that, but with limited success. But that may have been partially because of the uber loud music, and some people unable to hear me. There are some people, no matter how hard I try, who just refuse to look, or turn away in the last moment.

thechickencow
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
This is great. I'm going to be shooting a friend's wedding as a favor (no pay) this fall and am looking forward to it but need all the help I can get.

thechickencow
04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
inevitably someone will be too drunk or whatever and not be looking, but as long as you make a good effort **** them. :lol:

Those ****'s can mean a lot there.

subimatt
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
As for the count down, I tried that, but with limited success. But that may have been partially because of the uber loud music, and some people unable to hear me. There are some people, no matter how hard I try, who just refuse to look, or turn away in the last moment.

If thats the case, I wave my left hand above my head to get their attention, I may look silly for a minute, but it will allow me to get the shot.

s7khan
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmm...I don't care about looking silly. I've seen your pics, and in the end, it's whatever that gets the job done. Good advice...I'll try it out this Friday

CaityB
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Matt!

subimatt
04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
added a little bit.

jacobsen1
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
dude, for your lists, this is something we've done on the boat before trips... Make actual PRINTED lists of the **** you need. Have one for the night before with what to pre-pack and get ready, then another for the morning of since inevitably you'll be charging **** the night before. PHYSICALLY cross **** off those lists and you'll never forget anything. ;)

subimatt
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
dude, for your lists, this is something we've done on the boat before trips... Make actual PRINTED lists of the **** you need. Have one for the night before with what to pre-pack and get ready, then another for the morning of since inevitably you'll be charging **** the night before. PHYSICALLY cross **** off those lists and you'll never forget anything. ;)

physical lists are a good idea, Havnt done them since its really not alot of stuff, and im ocd so I know ill double check in the morning anyway.

tardypizza
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
How do you handle an overzealous priest who tells you to sit down in the middle of the ceremony?

jacobsen1
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
squeal like a pig and cough on them? :wave:

subimatt
04-29-2009, 04:30 PM
How do you handle an overzealous priest who tells you to sit down in the middle of the ceremony?

:lol:

riderofbmx4130
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
i'm guessing there is a story behind this?

nice lists matt, these really give some insight.

i'd like some more indepth idea of what kinds of shooting you do though.
like bandg getting ready, ring shots or whatever, what kind of check list do you have for that sort of thing?

subimatt
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
i'd like some more indepth idea of what kinds of shooting you do though.

what do you mean? There are certain shots that as far as wedding photography goes, are the standard must haves.

-First Kiss
-Cake Cutting
-First Dance
-Father Daughter
-Mother Son

I shoot on the more photojournalistic side, I shoot things as they happen to best reflect the day. Formals are a completely different story, we ask the clients for a formal shot list, basically what formals they want, who is in it, ect. We get that well in advance of the wedding and have a printed copy on us at that time. it allows the formals to be speedier giving more time for BnG photos or more reception time, depending on the bride and groom. Depending on the venue, ill have a few shots in my head that I personally want to get, but for the most part I shoot things as they happen and do what I do.

riderofbmx4130
04-29-2009, 11:35 PM
that answers most of it.

what about you staging shots like the bng getting ready?
i've seen a lot of artistic shots from people of this sort of thing but they look pretty staged to me. or do you stick with the photojournalist shooting from start to finish

subimatt
04-29-2009, 11:38 PM
getting ready portion we shoot as it happens, thats way to hectic a time to be posing people for "booster" shots.

riderofbmx4130
04-29-2009, 11:40 PM
thanks matt!
his really gives me a lot of incite!

subimatt
04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks matt!
his really gives me a lot of incite!

no prob, Weddings are one of those things that are always going to be different, so its best to be prepared for anything. Its ALWAYS about the Bride and groom, so what they want is our priority.

Juanita
04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Do you ever come across brides that could care less for the posed shots? As if they are more interested in getting back to the excitement of the wedding and NOT wanting to do posed shots?

subimatt
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Do you ever come across brides that could care less for the posed shots? As if they are more interested in getting back to the excitement of the wedding and NOT wanting to do posed shots?

Yup, we have had a couple brides who ask for the basic formals for the parents, then go right to the party. So formals done <15minutes, then of course the opposite where they mostly want formals done.

thomps6s
04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
I am shooting a Reception soon as a gift to the bride and groom. Probably just using a Canon 580ex on camera. What tips/experiences do you have that you would share with me?

subimatt
04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I am shooting a Reception soon as a gift to the bride and groom. Probably just using a Canon 580ex on camera. What tips/experiences do you have that you would share with me?

Just the reception Shawn? What tips are you looking for? I dont shoot while people are eating, def not flattering shots, plus by that time its a nice little break for us. Try to get shots of the food, place settings and any personal detail shots before people mess them up, anything that looks like it was custom made for the event. Flash wise, im sure your better with flash than me. I only use it if I have too, always bounced with a mid ISO setting.

thomps6s
04-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Just the reception Shawn? What tips are you looking for? I dont shoot while people are eating, def not flattering shots, plus by that time its a nice little break for us. Try to get shots of the food, place settings and any personal detail shots before people mess them up, anything that looks like it was custom made for the event. Flash wise, im sure your better with flash than me. I only use it if I have too, always bounced with a mid ISO setting.

Yeah just the reception. Was asked to shoot the wedding, but turned it down. They basically made me feel bad until I agreed to shoot the reception.
Thanks for the ideas. I will have my 28-75 as well as a 50mm 1.4 and plan to shoot as little flash as possible.

VicRSTi
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM

If shooting in a church, I've approached priests before the ceremony and ask them what is acceptable or not, what areas I can approach and which I can't. I try to go over my plan and where and when I'll be taking shots from. Some priests will be more anal, some are usually pretty chill. YMMV.

Ask about being able to use flash as well.

What to Wear
For myself, it depends on a few things. How formal is the event, How long is the event, and What is the weather like. My key thing is to make sure I am comfortable. If I am not comfortable, its not going to help me shoot, especially a full day of wedding work. Comfortable doesnt mean dress like a slob either, after all its someones wedding. So use your head and dress accordingly.

My preference is to always look professional and not to wear anything distracting I guess. When I wear all black, I feel like I'm a ninja with a camera sneaking around the church/reception trying to get those candid shots.

I'd like to add - comfortable shoes! And when you get shoes with soft soles, make sure they don't squeak a lot while you're walking around the church while everyone is doing their prayer :lol:

subimatt
05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
If shooting in a church, I've approached priests before the ceremony and ask them what is acceptable or not, what areas I can approach and which I can't. I try to go over my plan and where and when I'll be taking shots from. Some priests will be more anal, some are usually pretty chill. YMMV.

Ask about being able to use flash as well.

:lol: He was joking because I had that happen on Sunday...

case sensitive
05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
matt,

what is your typical turn around time to get the bng proofs? what about prints, web hosting, etc, etc.

subimatt
05-01-2009, 08:50 PM
matt,

what is your typical turn around time to get the bng proofs? what about prints, web hosting, etc, etc.

4-6 weeks for the DVD of images, Prints anytime the image is available online, but they get the images so they are free to use whichever print firm they choose. All images hosted on our zenfolio site. Albums are designed after the images are finished, tons of options there.

thechickencow
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I think I'll put this stuff to use at my friend's sisters wedding this weekend. I'm not an actual shooter but will be shooting my friend's wedding in September along with another guy or two.

needforspeed
09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Matt!

I have a few questions though.

I'll be shooting my girlfriend's sister's wedding on October 2nd. It is outside on a beach.

What kind of lenses would you for a Canon system?
Would you use flash at all? And how would you use the flash without a ceiling to bounce off of?

subimatt
09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Matt!

I have a few questions though.

I'll be shooting my girlfriend's sister's wedding on October 2nd. It is outside on a beach.

What kind of lenses would you for a Canon system?
Would you use flash at all? And how would you use the flash without a ceiling to bounce off of?

Outdoor beach wedding, I wouldnt take my flash out of the bag til the reception, even then depending on the lighting I might not touch it. Lens wise Im pretty much using my 50 90% of the time, I used the 135L alot over my 70-200 last wedding and I much prefer it. Otherwise im all over the place. If I need wide ill use the 16-35, bridal portraits either with the 50 or 85. I do all my formals with the 50 now and am loving the results. Tomorrows wedding will be interesting all in a hotel with an awesome courtyard, but looks tight so im guessing its going to be more of the 50 and 16-35, but we will see.

needforspeed
09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Outdoor beach wedding, I wouldnt take my flash out of the bag til the reception, even then depending on the lighting I might not touch it. Lens wise Im pretty much using my 50 90% of the time, I used the 135L alot over my 70-200 last wedding and I much prefer it. Otherwise im all over the place. If I need wide ill use the 16-35, bridal portraits either with the 50 or 85. I do all my formals with the 50 now and am loving the results. Tomorrows wedding will be interesting all in a hotel with an awesome courtyard, but looks tight so im guessing its going to be more of the 50 and 16-35, but we will see.

Cool, thanks for the quick response! I think that and the rest of this thread answers all my questions.:)

thechickencow
09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Ack!

I'm shooting a friend's wedding this weekend with another photographer who is also a friend of his. My question is should I use my flash on camera or bring stand/remote? Both?

CIM_Photography
09-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Matt, do you try to take weddings only in your area, or do you also offer travel? If you travel, do you charge an extra fee for that?

subimatt
09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I shoot and have shot all over, Saturdays wedding is actually in Boston, yes I charge extra.

millicent
09-28-2009, 08:37 PM
:wave:
Ok I have some new questions. I shot a wedding this past Sat. and the pastor banned us to the back of the church for the entire ceremony and stated that he would be happy to stick around after the ceremony and "re-enact" any parts of the ceremony we wanted closer shots of. Fortunately we were able to sweet talk him into letting one of us post-up against the wall at the front pew but we had to promise not to move at all.

Has any-one been banned to the back of the church before?
What are your thoughts on "re-enacting" the wedding?
wwyd?
:confused:

subimatt
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Ive been told to sit down during a ceremony... I sat then continued my movements. Theres a point between respectful and absurd that I like to gauge the situation... better to ask forgiveness than permission...

millicent
09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I've never considered "re-enacting" the ceremony perfering in-the-moment expressions. Is this a common or acceptable practice? About how many photos would you say you take of the cermony it's self?

... better to ask forgiveness than permission...
<= I like this, thankyou Matt.

lightworksimaging
09-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I"m a huge fan of an engagement shoot with my wedding couples, to echo what Matt says to be comfortable with the couple pays HUGE dividends in the actual wedding. That and a shot list, given to the couple at the e-shoot, so I have an idea of what's important to them. I can't emphasize that people skills, along with business skills are huge to the wedding photographer. Oh yeah, and backup/sexond body, at least two flash units, and lenses preferably f/2.8 IS, covering from wide angle, (17mm or better on my crops) and something to reach out, I use a 70-200 for the fact the often times pastors/priests don't let me up on the center of the church. Plus, the focal length allows a nice separation from the front of the church when shot from a fair distance. Just my two cents.

subimatt
10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
heres a great link.

http://www.professionalphotography101.com/Wedding_Photography/become_photographer.html

Ath
10-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Something else that should be remembered, anything that looks like it took time and/or money to prep for the ceremony or reception. shoot it.

Bone
03-05-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm looking at old threads again... lol

I would like to add some links to this that should be helpful in general.

Tim's Wedding workflow:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=294717

Engagement session tips, trick or how to:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=476788

Slimming posing techniques:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=286827

These are all good reads over on POTN and should be looked at if considering this kind of work.

Markitos
03-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Bone, first and third links are to the same thread.

Bone
03-05-2011, 10:30 PM

I'll fix it shortly

Bone
03-05-2011, 11:42 PM

link fixed.