PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Ice/ Dealing with Clients.

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

subimatt
02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, This wont be a tutorial persay but Ill give you an overview of how my face to face meetings go with my clients. Typcially ive emailed them a few times and ask the general basics, where, when, ect. This gives you a little bit of info for going into the meeting. Use it to start conversation.

Rule #1. Be Yourself!

I get inquiries for my wedding photography services with many different reasons. These vary from pricing, to location, to portfolio, to date availability. Its very important to get an idea of what reason or reasons the client has chosen to meet with you. Why? Well ill explain.

Portfolio.
Single best reason to have a client interested in you. That means your style meshes with what the types of images they would like at their event. Generally it means your on the same page for how your going to shoot their event, very simple and you get enthusiastic clients.

Location.
Kind of self explanatory, I get more local inquiries than out of state, although 2/3rds of my weddings are not local.

Date.
Can be neutral, You can get a combination of the above reasons, with a date you have available, or you could be a second/ third choice depending on the clients other choices availability.

Pricing.
This is the tricky one. Sometimes you get a client who is looking at nothing but prices, Its tricky because you and the client may not mesh well. I find that a good client relationship is key to great images. If your photographic style isnt what they are looking for, but they like your pricing isnt a good start. Sure you can do the job and your contracts protect you... BUT if your photographic style isnt meshed with your clients, the chances of dissapointed clients are increased... Contracts protect, but unhappy clients DO NOT lead to referrals... Referrals are 100% of my business. I do no other advertising aside from my website.

so back to #1... Be yourself.

As far as the meeting goes, my business plan is simple. Photography fees are not for the images. The fees are for my time and talent.

Clients. Leads to Rule #2.

The meeting is not so much about MY Photography, but THEIR wedding... make sense?
This is THEIR day, they are looking for someone to be there with them the entire day, no other vendor aside from maybe a videographer or planner is going to be with the bride and groom as much as the photographer. Its very important that you can relay your understanding of this to the bride and groom. Your not there to improve your portfolio, your there to document THEIR day.

Which all comes back around to rule #1. Be yourself, you will be spending the whole day together, my big thing is to make sure you and the client mesh. This of couse is all IMO and as always YMMV.

The engagement shoot helps a ton with these things, but they are good to have in mind.

What do you bring?
I bring a portfolio book and a laptop to showcase images.

Answer questions truthfully!

Where?
I generally meet clients at a panera or starbucks thats mutually convenient.

as always im sure I forgot something, feel free to ask Qs.

subimatt
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
just booked another wedding over Gchat :)

CaityB
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
:lol:

case sensitive
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
matt, what lenses do you typically use for a wedding/engagement shoot?

subimatt
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
matt, what lenses do you typically use for a wedding/engagement shoot?

50 1.4, 17-55 IS, and 24-70L

thomps6s
02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Another great write up.

These are the things that will bring more people to this site. A good library of tutorials and write ups.

case sensitive
02-27-2009, 05:52 PM
thanks matt!

right now i'm thinking of using my 40mm, 50mm, 18-55 (only if i have to), 70-100 (on my second body), and i'll be renting a 50-135mm.

subimatt
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
does pentax have any fast zooms? Youll def want a mid range 2.8 zoom. Primes are super tricky during weddings.

case sensitive
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
the 50-135 is 2.8, that's about the best i can do. i can also rent the 16-50 which is 2.8 also.

subimatt
02-27-2009, 09:09 PM
the 50-135 is 2.8, that's about the best i can do. i can also rent the 16-50 which is 2.8 also.

Id go with both of those.

thomps6s
02-27-2009, 09:10 PM
If he rents the 16-50 he will want one even more.

case sensitive
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
i think i'm buying a sigma 28-70 f2.8

s7khan
05-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Possibly meeting up someone who wants to hire me for a wedding this week. This tutorial is great. Thanks Matt

subimatt
05-04-2009, 10:43 AM
no prob!