PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Request Thread.

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

subimatt
02-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Any requests, post them here!

ibtomorrowisgoingtobealoooooongday... Ill need something to work on!

thomps6s
02-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Location Portrait Photography and breaking the ice/dealing with your clients.

BobbyT
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Posing for portraits and group shots.

subimatt
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Location Portrait Photography and breaking the ice/dealing with your clients.

done and done.

subimatt
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Posing for portraits and group shots.

Ill do this one half way through wedding season, I have some new things Id like to try. but for the most part, We have a list, Leah organizes while I shoot.

tbert
02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Capturing the throwing of the bisque?

subimatt
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Capturing the throwing of the bisque?

There actually is no throwing, its too wasteful... unless its bad bisque.. but Ive only had a couple occasions of bad bisque.

tbert
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
There is no bad bisque.

subimatt
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
There is no bad bisque.

:unamused: yes there is... its out there... waiting to get you...

Angelo
02-27-2009, 12:04 PM
All I can say is thanks, Matt. These tutorials are great!

As for specific requests, +1 on 'posing for portraits'.

-A

subimatt
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
No prob, glad they are helping people out.

Markitos
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Anything else that people would like to see?

subimatt
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Mark or Scott or Ben or Jeff...

How about a landscape composition tutorial... Im terrible with those.

Markitos
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm honored to have been mentioned with that company, and will see if I can't offer up something. It might be interesting to see how I see things differently than, say, Scott does.

jacobsen1
03-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Just look at you background and edges and make sure everything has a purpose. :wave: That's where a tripod is key because it allows the frame to stay the same while you check all 4 corners, all the edges and all the details.

But yeah, judging by my recent outdoor shots, I'm not one to go by. :lol:

subimatt
03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Just look at you background and edges and make sure everything has a purpose. :wave: That's where a tripod is key because it allows the frame to stay the same while you check all 4 corners, all the edges and all the details.

But yeah, judging by my recent outdoor shots, I'm not one to go by. :lol:

Yea, tripod is still on the list, just not a priority now... Maybe ill bite the bullet at some point this year.

Why? bc its art?!

jacobsen1
03-10-2009, 11:14 AM
no, just because I feel my comps from Sat were ****. :wave:

subimatt
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
no, just because I feel my comps from Sat were ****. :wave:

really? splain. I liked all your shots from that set.

jacobsen1
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
to me they were either too wide, or not wide enough, then houses were getting in the way. Hard to explain really w/o going into detail on each shot, but yeah, my first shot (the HDR) was my fav, the rest were sorta ho-hum. I mean they're OK and good enough to post, I can just see plenty of room for improvements. Then again, I can will pretty much all my shots. :lol:

Part of it is me being my best critique, part is just I've been out of that game a while, and lastly, it was wicked early. :lol:

MoLS
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Just look at your background and edges and make sure everything has a purpose. :wave: That's where a tripod is key because it allows the frame to stay the same while you check all 4 corners, all the edges and all the details.

All I'd add to this is that I like to find something that leads your eye around the frame. Direction of blurred water that pulls you in, or lines or whatever.

Markitos
03-11-2009, 08:56 AM
All I'd add to this is that I like to find something that leads your eye around the frame. Direction of blurred water that pulls you in, or lines or whatever.

+1 to this--I use shorelines, fallen trees, rocks, ridges, whatever.

jacobsen1
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
yeah, and *cough* rule of thirds... (ie don't center whatever's leading your eyes).

migs
03-22-2010, 08:42 PM
having shot a band in a dingy club with crap lighting (little to no or heavily gel'd) yielding less than stellar results, tips/tricks are welcome.

jacobsen1
03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
fast glass (f/1.8 or faster if you can afford it), high ISOs, NAILING your exposure, shooting RAW and getting WB as good as possible all help. Also look into noise reduction programs. Put some shots up in critique though or maybe the PP this section and we'll be able to give more specific advice.

migs
03-22-2010, 09:57 PM
your advice was what i was dreading. everything i've read about and tried to account for my first time out. seems like it's one of those things where shooting these type of events will become second nature with practice. it was a learning experience. the ones that did come out, i was happy with (~20 or so out of ~120 ::) ) . i look forward to more gigs like that in the future. i'll save myself the embarassment and post up when i feel they are post worthy.

thomps6s
03-22-2010, 10:04 PM
What's a landscape shot? :lol:

MASSSCENE
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
How about some cleaning totorials. I have recently had this same piece of dust popping up in some of my pictures so I spent about an hour just using a hand blower to get it off the sensor. Now how ever my focus screen looksl ike a bomb went off. I have done some searching and everyone says "leave it alone" "learn to live with it" because it doesnt effect your pictures. I probably could learn to live with it but I prefer to have all matter of dust out of my camera if possible. Especially large bits. Thanks.

Markitos
05-14-2010, 08:17 PM
How about some cleaning totorials. I have recently had this same piece of dust popping up in some of my pictures so I spent about an hour just using a hand blower to get it off the sensor. Now how ever my focus screen looksl ike a bomb went off. I have done some searching and everyone says "leave it alone" "learn to live with it" because it doesnt effect your pictures. I probably could learn to live with it but I prefer to have all matter of dust out of my camera if possible. Especially large bits. Thanks.

If the dust is between the focus screen and the prism, or worse, on the prism itself, it's very difficult to get off and involves disassembling some stuff with small parts. You can remove the focusing screen and blow that off, but in my experience with the 5D, it doesn't really help, since the dust/crap I see in my viewfinder is actually on the prism. So I hate to say it, but learn to live with it unless you are confident doing some more serious work inside your camera.

MASSSCENE
05-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the advice markitos. I shot tonight and I actually found my self forgetting it was there. I guess Ill live with it for now.

Alchemy-Z
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Maybe I missed it but do we have a Star Trails Tutorial?

jacobsen1
09-27-2010, 01:54 PM
tutorial, no, but someone had some good links in a thread at some point? Maybe check sharing?

thomps6s
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Maybe I missed it but do we have a Star Trails Tutorial?

Look here, very comprehensive guide http://www.danheller.com/star-trails.html

Alchemy-Z
09-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Look here, very comprehensive guide http://www.danheller.com/star-trails.html

Thanks man!

I have a wedding to shoot out in the country (less light pollution) and I might have some fun for myself after the wedding and try this.

Tylersladen
10-11-2010, 03:54 AM
help me learn to do these

http://grind.tactics.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/oudalay-sequence.jpg

I could have sworn there was a tutorial already!

Markitos
10-11-2010, 06:42 AM
^^ That. Is awesome.

vtbandit
10-18-2010, 05:29 PM
An idea for a tutorial could be the different types of shots used in automotive racing and how to properly set them up. I'm interested in taking my not-yet-purchased camera to the Grand Prix of St Pete, 24 hours Daytona, and 12 hours of Sebring.

Drew84
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
^ I may try to take that one for you.

I have a request, A tutorial on lighting models outdoors with reflectors.

danm
04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
^ I may try to take that one for you.

I have a request, A tutorial on lighting models outdoors with reflectors.

i plan to be doing some of this soon and have in the past. i could probably work something up. keep on my ass though. since i am away from home right now i dont have anything to work it up with so i may forget