PDA

View Full Version : Need Photoshop Genius

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

ShannonO
12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey Everyone. I need some help.

I'm trying to put together a proof-of-concept blog/website for my mother's art for her Christmas present. She doesn't really know what's possible, she just knows all her friends websites (which are largely crap). She does get the concept of a blog and is interested in the idea of posting regularly about her art and surrounding activities.

So I installed wordpress, got some help from Ben about a gallery for wordpress, and here's what I've got:
http://oneillartglass.com

Here's my problem: those photos should have a branding on them. My mom took them, and I'd like to put her brand on them. Notice the Osprey has a signature on it. I tried taking that signature and branding, but I'm at my (easily reached) limit on PS skills. I increased the resolution and tried magic wanding the signature, but I can't seem to get it clean. I'd really like to lift that sig and put it on the photos.

Thoughts? Ideas?

(Critiques and suggestions on the website are welcome...I'm going to just keep editing and nitpicking until I show it to her I think...)

tardypizza
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
You mean like a watermark?

ShannonO
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I should add: MommaO is going to need better photographs of her work. I like the aspen photo, but it took a lot of work to get there. Are any of you in the DC area and willing to consider doing some "professional" shots of her pieces? Glass, I assume, isn't easy because it needs to be lit so particularly...

ShannonO
12-09-2008, 02:08 PM
You mean like a watermark?

That's exactly what I mean. I couldn't think of the term.

tardypizza
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
What you want to do is get her signature captured somehow, possibly with a scanner? I know Ben has done it and could give better advice than I, as could google.

Then it's just a matter of pasting that signature on the photo in PS in a separate layer and reducing the opacity, you can also get fancy by adding embossing, shadows, highlights, etc.

Once you do it once or twice you can record your steps as a action so it will be automated.

jjswee
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I dunno what to tell ya about the signature. Maybe have her recreate it on a piece of paper and scan it in?

As for the pictures of glass. I suggest using a CP and finding the right angle. I haven't tried this myself recently, but I am sure its not that hard.

JERM
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I suggest obtaining the signature on paper, with the highest possible contrast. A plain white piece of paper with the signature in opaque black marker is ideal. You can scan this at high resolution, erase the white background so it is transparent, and then save this as a Photoshop document on your computer.

For mine, I have written an action which resizes the image and then uses the command "Place" to put the Photoshop file into the photo. Before you record the action play around with the position, color, opacity, and effects of the signature to get the look you desire (as was suggested above).

jacobsen1
12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
yeah, get (us) a better/larger shot of her sig and it's easy to make a watermark file. I've even made fonts for mine, but that's a PITA to say the least...

Once you make that file, the sig action is very easy. I'd also make a border/frame that was her domain on it too. Looks more professional, but more importantly if anyone ever "borrows" her shots, it has her domain on them.

As for shooting, it's a simple light box with hot lights setup and some basic tips/pointers. We can help you set that up if you want to shoot for her. :)

ShannonO
12-09-2008, 03:45 PM
I guess I wasn't really clear. I think I could do it if I got her to write her own signature. But what I wanted to do was lift her signature off the photo I already have. If I need her to do it, I guess it'll have to wait until after the surprise.

Thanks for the help above. I'll use the tutorials that exist once I do get a real image of her sig. :)

As for shooting for her...she's likely a better candidate for herself. I suck at taking pictures (although I keep swearing to myself that I'll learn and work hard at it some day). I think I can frame a shot, but lighting and camera settings... :lol: at me. ;)