PDA

View Full Version : The Master ND & Grad ND Filter thread

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

thechickencow
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I've got a cart set up at b&h ready to order, here's what I'm looking at:

Cokin "P" Series - Filter Holder, 77mm Adapter Ring and 28 Page Pamphlet - $13.99

Cokin Graduated Neutral Density Filter Kit for "P" Series - Requires Adapter Ring - $52.99 (includes filter holder, p121L, p121M, p121S)

Cokin P153 Gray Neutral Density (ND) 4x Resin Filter - $17.95

I like B&H but am OK with somewhere else if its cheaper/better for some reason (is that possible?)

Stime187
12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure... I hate all the denotions/labeling. Buying filters is way too complicated.

If you have an adapter ring for your lens, a holder that fits the filters and adapter ring, and some grad. NDs in various strengths (2-stop, 3-stop, etc.) and graduation types (soft, hard, reverse, etc.) then I'd say you got a good setup.

What's the Cokin P153 doing? Do you want a standard ND filter? Good to have, but I just want to be sure you have the right thing.

- Scott

thechickencow
12-12-2007, 02:15 PM
The 3 in the kit are like 2, 4, 8, all in soft edge. I'll pick up hards as time goes on, don't wanna blow my filter wad all at once.

I figured the standard ND would be useful, but I was just thinking that for no real reason. If its not as useful as others, let me know - I don't know any specific shots that I'd be using it for right now.

Stime187
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
The 3 in the kit are like 2, 4, 8, all in soft edge. I'll pick up hards as time goes on, don't wanna blow my filter wad all at once.

I figured the standard ND would be useful, but I was just thinking that for no real reason. If its not as useful as others, let me know - I don't know any specific shots that I'd be using it for right now.

No standard NDs rock, I just wanted to be sure.

Also, can you change the kit at all? I'm assuming that 1, 2, and 3 stop strength. But personally, I have a 1-stop that I've never used and I use hard line much more often than soft. Just something to consider.

thechickencow
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Its not much of a discount to go with the kit, I could pick the individual filters I'm sure.

So if I did 2 & 3 stop hard and soft would that be more useful?

Stime187
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
So if I did 2 & 3 stop hard and soft would that be more useful?

Absolutely in my opinion. When I buy my next setup, it'll be 2 & 3, Hard and 2 & 3, Soft.

- Scott

thechickencow
12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
So I know what I want, but I'm not sure what to order.

Ben looks to ahve had the same dilemna, I wonder if he figured it out.

What was that website with filters besides b&h?

The other companies are easier to understand, but twice as expensive.

thechickencow
12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
www.2filter.com found it!

Stime187
12-12-2007, 04:21 PM
So I know what I want, but I'm not sure what to order.

Ben looks to ahve had the same dilemna, I wonder if he figured it out.

What was that website with filters besides b&h?

The other companies are easier to understand, but twice as expensive.

Yeah, that's mostly my problem. I just don't get what each thing is, I know exactly what I want...

And yeah, 2filter... great place, but still very confusing.

thechickencow
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I think I'll just have to call them, it'd be nice to have these before the honeymoon I think.

$40/filter is spendy though if I go with the hitechs to get teh stops/lines I want.

Stime187
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I think I'll just have to call them, it'd be nice to have these before the honeymoon I think.

$40/filter is spendy though if I go with the hitechs to get teh stops/lines I want.

You think $40/filter is expensive? :lol: I'm looking at picking up some 4x6 Singh Rays... try $160/filter. :(

I just wish I already had my new stuff, I'd sell you all my older ones for practically nothing. And they are HiTechs you see on 2filter, good stuff in my opinion. I just wish I could find some HiTech (or otherwise) 4x6 filters...

thechickencow
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I know its not bad in the big scheme of things, but its still enough that I can't just go out and buy everything I want immediately.

another
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Here's my $.02 ... we (nobody) can tell you exactly which ones to get, but I wholeheartedly recommend starting with Cokins. Why? Cuz they are the cheapest. Buy as many different ones as you can. Then go shooting for 6 months. You'll start coming back to just a few of them. Once you know what you really need, sell the Cokins and upgrade (Hitech are probably the cheapest good quality. Agree, Scott?). You'll want better quality filters once you learn how to use them ... so spend the money on cheap ones to learn, then upgrade once you know exactly what you need.

Stime187
12-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Here's my $.02 ... we (nobody) can tell you exactly which ones to get, but I wholeheartedly recommend starting with Cokins. Why? Cuz they are the cheapest. Buy as many different ones as you can. Then go shooting for 6 months. You'll start coming back to just a few of them. Once you know what you really need, sell the Cokins and upgrade (Hitech are probably the cheapest good quality. Agree, Scott?). You'll want better quality filters once you learn how to use them ... so spend the money on cheap ones to learn, then upgrade once you know exactly what you need.

Agreed for the most part. But I'd just stick with HiTech, the difference in price isn't all that great (is it?) and I've always heard bad things (color casts, etc.) with the Cokins.

another
12-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Hitech's are twice the price. That's if you stick with P size. I'm giving away my P Cokins now and upgrading to Z Hitechs (4x4 and 4x5) which are more than 3x the cost of P Cokins.

jjswee
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm giving away my P Cokins now

OMGHI2U!!

thechickencow
12-13-2007, 10:15 PM
The problem is that if I want 2 and 3 stop soft and hard line, there aren't options for all of those from cokin, so I'm forced to at least partially go hitech. I'd rather just have them all be the same.

I don't get how Cokin has all the sizes determined, but apparently makes the crappiest filters? wtf?

Stime187
12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
The problem is that if I want 2 and 3 stop soft and hard line, there aren't options for all of those from cokin, so I'm forced to at least partially go hitech. I'd rather just have them all be the same.

I don't get how Cokin has all the sizes determined, but apparently makes the crappiest filters? wtf?

Yeah, beats me too.

I just wish I would've won that stupid Canon contest, I'd be rocking a full Singh Ray 4x6 setup now.

thechickencow
12-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Should've cheated!

Probably as soon as I get time I'm gonna get a cart set up on 2filters and order this crap.

thechickencow
12-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Crap, so I was getting all set on 2filters.com and saw that the Z-pro is designed for 10 & 12mm wide angle digital SLR's. Does anybody know if the P-series is enough on a 1.6 crop to cover the full 10mm range?

Ahhh!

another
12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I've heard it's okay if you keep the filter holder perfectly vertical ... but that's one of the reasons I'm going to Z. I don't want to have to worry about it. It would certainly be a problem if you had another gadget on the front of your lens first (like a polarizer or color enhancer before the filter holder) Plus, I find myself preferring to hand hold the filters when I have a tripod. I only use the holder when the tripod is at home. (I haven't done any 10 minute exposures yet, which I would also use the holder for)

another
12-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm giving away my P Cokins now

OMGHI2U!!

:) Giving them to a couple travel friends to experiment with. If they end up in a pile collecting dust, I'll send them to NSoPers.

Stime187
12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Crap, so I was getting all set on 2filters.com and saw that the Z-pro is designed for 10 & 12mm wide angle digital SLR's. Does anybody know if the P-series is enough on a 1.6 crop to cover the full 10mm range?

Ahhh!

No. The P-series (what I have) isn't big enough for me all the time on a 17mm lens on a crop body. You need bigger, which I guess, means the Z-Pro.

If you used right, you will almost never have the filter completely vertical. It will be turned and up or down depending on where the horizon lies. You don't want the filter to dictate composition in any way, shape, or form.

- Scott

thechickencow
12-14-2007, 09:48 AM
OK, z-pro's it is then.

damn. thats $20 more per filter!

Stime187
12-14-2007, 09:52 AM
OK, z-pro's it is then.

damn. thats $20 more per filter!

How big are the z-pro's? Length/width? Are they Cokins or HiTech?

I need to start getting my new setup laid out. There's no sense in me buying a 5D without grad. NDs, it'll just sit til I have 'em. :lol:

thechickencow
12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
4x4 or looks like 4x5 on 2filters.com.

http://2filter.com/prices/Hitech/Hitechgradzpro.html

http://www.2filter.com/prices/Hitech/Hitech4x4.html

So if the holder is 4x4 and the filter is 4x5 do you just move it up/down in the holder to compensate for where you want the line?

Stime187
12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
4x4 or looks like 4x5 on 2filters.com.

http://2filter.com/prices/Hitech/Hitechgradzpro.html

http://www.2filter.com/prices/Hitech/Hitech4x4.html

So if the holder is 4x4 and the filter is 4x5 do you just move it up/down in the holder to compensate for where you want the line?

Exactly. Do not get a 4x4, that would be miserable. You also turn it side-to-side to compensate for a different line of light. Personally, I think 4x5 is too short of a ratio, I'd like to find some 4x6s that aren't Singh Rays, but its not looking good.

thechickencow
12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
So now I've figured out all the z-pro stuff so i can actually shoot 10mm shots with a grad on it. Little more expensive but should work more for me all around.

Stime187
12-14-2007, 10:39 PM
So, I just laid out my cart for what I'll need with the 5D on 2filter.com:

HiTech 4x4 MK4 WA Filter Holder
4x5 HiTech .9 Hard Grad. ND
4x5 HiTech .6 Hard Grad. ND
4x5 HiTech .9 Soft Grad. ND
4x5 HiTech .6 Soft Grad. ND
HiTech 77mm Adapter Ring (17-40)
HiTech 67mm Adapter Ring (70-200)
B+W 77mm MRC Circular Polarizer
HiTech 4x4 1.2 Solid ND Filter

Grand Total: $689.29

Ouch. Anyone want to buy some prints? :lol:

- Scott

thechickencow
12-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure if I'll go with the hitech holder/adapter, I don't know if thats really necessary, but those grads are exactly the ones I was looking at. Could I just use a cokin holder?

I'd like to eventually et the solid ND filter too, but I'm holding off on that and the CP.

thechickencow
12-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Just figured out my cart:
z-pro cokin holder
z-pro 77mm adapter
.6 hard & soft 4x5 grads
.9 hard & soft 4x5 grads

$345.xx shipped. The cokin holder says it works with any brand filter, so I figure I can give it a shot and go from there. My smaller front element lenses I figured I'd use a step-up ring rather than buy another $30-40 adapter but I will wait and see what the adapter looks like first.

Scott, if I was going to buy either just hards, or just softs, is there one thats more useful, or do you use them evenly? Without actually using them I figure I'll end up using both but if one is used 90% and one is 10% maybe i'll just start with 2 of them.

thechickencow
12-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Meh, screw it, I just ordered the stuff I just listed.

Stime187
12-15-2007, 11:23 AM
The cokin holder says it works with any brand filter, so I figure I can give it a shot and go from there.

I've heard the Cokin works with any of them, but to be honest, I just don't like Cokin period and I love the quality that seems to come with Hitech despite it not being too expensive. When it comes to this grad. setup, I'm doing it right, no more half-assing it for me. :lol: But yeah, the Cokin should be just fine.

Scott, if I was going to buy either just hards, or just softs, is there one thats more useful, or do you use them evenly? Without actually using them I figure I'll end up using both but if one is used 90% and one is 10% maybe i'll just start with 2 of them.

I like Hards more and use them more often. But the next landscape photographer could come here and say Hards leave too noticeable of a line an Softs are the way to go. Good call having both, different situations call for different ones and you'll fall into a rhythym of which to use pretty quickly.

Please take some shots of the setup when it comes, I'd appreciate it.

- Scott

thechickencow
12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
No problem, will do.

I'm excited to get them and try them out.

Stime187
12-15-2007, 11:52 AM
No problem, will do.

I'm excited to get them and try them out.

They're my favorite thing in my bag. Using Grad. NDs truly changed the way I photograph and the quality of my work, no doubt. You'll love 'em.

BCinMB
12-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Would the "Lee 4x4 Filter Holder" with 77mm adapter and GND .6 Soft Edge 4x6 (lee) or 4x5 (hitech) work on a 5d setup?

Stime187
12-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Would the "Lee 4x4 Filter Holder" with 77mm adapter and GND .6 Soft Edge 4x6 (lee) or 4x5 (hitech) work on a 5d setup?

See my post above. That (HiTech 4x5) is exactly what I'm buying for my 5D + 17-40 L setup that I'll have sometime in the next month or so.

BCinMB
12-15-2007, 01:54 PM

See my post above. That (HiTech 4x5) is exactly what I'm buying for my 5D + 17-40 L setup that I'll have sometime in the next month or so.
So would HiTech 4x4 MK4 WA Filter Holder work on my 24-70, or would i have to buy the 'normal' one? I was also wondering about the Lee holder since it is half the price of the hitech one. If the Lee holder works for a 5D + 24-70L and 17-40L, i would get that one.. but does it?

Stime187
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
The holder doesn't fit anything as far as I know. Its the adapter rings that make them work.

Like I'm getting a 77mm AR for my 17-40 L and a 67mm AR for my 70-200 f/4 L.

And, just out of curiousity, do you have a 5D, 17-40L, and 24-70L?? Damn, dude.

BCinMB
12-15-2007, 02:10 PM
The holder doesn't fit anything as far as I know. Its the adapter rings that make them work.

Okay, with the proper adapter rings on the 17-40 and 24-70, will the Lee holder work on the 5d setup?

Only the 24-70L. I'm getting the new 5D when it's released, so i don't want to buy anything that doesn't work on it. I realized that, even if i got a 40D for my bday, i would still really want the new 5D.. so that's my birthday AND christmas present. :D I might get a 17-40L in the future, if 24mm on the 5D isn't wide enough for me.

Stime187
12-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Okay, with the proper adapter rings on the 17-40 and 24-70, will the Lee holder work on the 5d setup?

The Lee holder should be fine, but I don't know for sure.

Only the 24-70L. I'm getting the new 5D when it's released, so i don't want to buy anything that doesn't work on it. I realized that, even if i got a 40D for my bday, i would still really want the new 5D.. so that's my birthday AND christmas present. :D I might get a 17-40L in the future, if 24mm on the 5D isn't wide enough for me.

Damn! So, you've been into photography for 9 months and you have the 300D right now but you're jumping to the 5DmkII? Any reason why you don't just get the current 5D + 17-40L?

I'll be buying the current 5D when I get enough money scraped together, and to be honest, I couldn't care less about the new version, I guess I'm of the impression, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The 5D is perfect for what I do and proven in the field.

But yeah, congrats on being able to have all that stuff at such a young age.

- Scott

jjswee
12-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Stime - with hard line grad filters, how does it come out when taking picture of a mountain in the sky? Will you noticeably see the line in the mountain where the sky ends vertically and the line is set?

another
12-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Stime - with hard line grad filters, how does it come out when taking picture of a mountain in the sky? Will you noticeably see the line in the mountain where the sky ends vertically and the line is set?

Yeah, I still haven't found a single photog willing to post pre-processed images to give an example of this. The few times I've tried not covering the whole sky, the little bit not filtered is massively over-exposed. More practice ... and learning how to dodge/burn in PS would be good.

another
12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
So, I just laid out my cart for what I'll need with the 5D on 2filter.com:

HiTech 4x4 MK4 WA Filter Holder
4x5 HiTech .9 Hard Grad. ND
4x5 HiTech .6 Hard Grad. ND
4x5 HiTech .9 Soft Grad. ND
4x5 HiTech .6 Soft Grad. ND
HiTech 77mm Adapter Ring (17-40)
HiTech 67mm Adapter Ring (70-200)
B+W 77mm MRC Circular Polarizer
HiTech 4x4 1.2 Solid ND Filter

- Scott

Just figured out my cart:
z-pro cokin holder
z-pro 77mm adapter
.6 hard & soft 4x5 grads
.9 hard & soft 4x5 grads

Pretty close to what I've ordered. I've actually placed 3 orders recently and included some crap on a Christmas list ... so I can't really be sure what'll be in my bag come January. I think it'll be something like:

Cokin Z Pro holder
77mm Z Pro adapter
2x Hitech 4x4 1.2 ND
.6 Hitech 4x5 hard grad ND
.9 Hitech 4x5 hard grad ND
77mm Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer

Oh, the Sigma 10-20mm will be purchased soon as well. I love wide and the the quality at 18mm sucks on my new lens.

Stime187
12-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Yeah, I still haven't found a single photog willing to post pre-processed images to give an example of this. The few times I've tried not covering the whole sky, the little bit not filtered is massively over-exposed. More practice ... and learning how to dodge/burn in PS would be good.

I'd be glad to post some examples, it very much is possible. Every scene is different as are different types of mountains when it comes to photographing them. In my experience, mountains out west (sharper/snow/etc.) are much more kind to hard-line grad. NDs than mountains in the eastern US (more rolling).

another
12-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Just seeing that hard edge would be a huge help. It's still not clear to me how much touch-up I should be doing in PS. Right now it feels like I'm painting, which isn't what I want! :lol:

thechickencow
12-17-2007, 08:10 AM
You'll love the sigma 10-20 if you get it, its a really fun lens.

Markitos
12-17-2007, 08:23 AM

And a good, serious lens, too. Lots of goodness in a small package.

M

thechickencow
12-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, for serious too as Mr. extremecloseup self portrait says.

Stime187
12-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Just seeing that hard edge would be a huge help. It's still not clear to me how much touch-up I should be doing in PS. Right now it feels like I'm painting, which isn't what I want! :lol:

See, that's the key... the examples (or atleast one I KNOW of), you can't see the hard line, its just isn't visible. That's the goal, any touch up should be minor at most.

another
12-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Yeah, a friend of mine has it ... I steal it every time we go out.

another
12-17-2007, 10:11 AM

See, that's the key... the examples (or atleast one I KNOW of), you can't see the hard line, its just isn't visible. That's the goal, any touch up should be minor at most.

That's what I figured, but I hadn't seen an example from somebody who knew what they were doing :) I've probably got exposure issues. I'm still amazed at shots people get with only 2 or 3 stops ... that never seems to be enough for me. I'm metering like 6 stop differences between foreground and sky. Maybe the sky is just brighter in Maine. :lol:

Rock
11-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I have been reading a bit about ND filters and I see them listed on B&H with numbers like 0.3 or 0.9 and what I want to know is this. Is the 0.9 a 9 stop? And what about 8x? is that 8 stop??

thechickencow
11-21-2008, 12:31 PM
.3 is 1-stop, .6 is 2stop, .9 is 3-stop (in one brand, my Hitechs are listed like this)

I think cokin does theirs different so the 8x is 3 stop but I'm not certain on that.

Rock
11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Okay. Thanks. I am trying to get my head around this but it is a bit confusing......

thomps6s
11-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Jay is right.

PhatheadWRX
11-21-2008, 12:44 PM
yeah they don't help the normal joe with the inconsistent naming.

Markitos
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah they don't help the normal joe with the inconsistent naming.

Joe 6pack?

thomps6s
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Joe 6pack?

You betcha

jacobsen1
11-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Joe the plumber?

thomps6s
11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Joe Six Stop?

PhatheadWRX
11-21-2008, 12:59 PM
no guys, joe momma

Stime187
11-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Joe Six Stop?

:lol:

And yeah, the naming sucks but it works once someone clues you in.

Also, if you're going the straight ND route (not grad. ND?), I wouldn't bother with anything less than 3-stops, my lowest is a 4-stop.

If you're actually interested in graduated ND filters, be careful to denote which because the two are very different.

Just FYI.

thomps6s
11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't bother with anything less than 3-stops, my lowest is a 4-stop.

Just FYI.

I agree, I have a 2 stop and a 9 stop. the two stop really doesn't come in all that handy.

thechickencow
11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
This reminds me, I should use my 10 stop ND sometime, i don't think I've used it yet.

ride5000
11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
mine goes to 11

PhatheadWRX
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
ken, did you build a vari?

Stime187
11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
mine goes to 11

I think 10 is about perfect, not sure I'd want to mess with 11 (or more). But it'd be fun to have a 12 or maybe even a 15. You'd be looking at 30-60 minute exposures in broad daylight with a 15... if I'm estimating in my head right. :lol:

LateApex
11-21-2008, 08:51 PM
mine goes to 11

I think 10 is about perfect, not sure I'd want to mess with 11 (or more).

I don't think Scott has seen this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ca2D2EnqQ

Stime187
11-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Nope, apparently we (French and I) both missed it. Pretty hidden joke though. :lol:

Damon
11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm bringing this back from the dead.

First off, which holder would be best? Right now I'm shooting with a 40D and a 12-24 at the widest. However, eventually I will be going full frame, with maybe 16/17 at the widest, so I'll need to plan for the future. Looks like the choices are Lee (4x4), HiTech(mk4), and Cokin(Z-Pro).

I have 77mm round filters, is there a system that can still use these, or do they all take larger round filters? (105mm?) I really like the Lee system, but I can't tell if it can use a round filter.

For filters, as far as I know, come in standard sizes correct? So as long as I get a 4x4 system, I have a variety of filter/manufactures to choose from? I am able to purchase any of these filters listed here: http://www.2filter.com/4x4camerafilters/4x4ndgraduals.html

How about resin vs glass?

Price range... I know this is one of those products you keep around for a long time, so I'm willing to make the investment, it will just be over time. I'd like to start with the holder, a solid ND (.3?), grad hard line (.3?), soft (.3?). Any recommendations on a different starter kit?

Thanks,

Damon

thechickencow
11-26-2008, 06:41 PM
You buy the right adapter ring for your filter size on lens. For the cokin z-pro at least you just buy the adapter ring for your 77mm filter and go from there. I then bought a 'step up ring' for a 72mm->77mm combo and used that when I had my 72mm front element lenses. I haven't gotten an adapter for my 67mm or smaller sizes yet so I'm stuck hand holding them for now.

My z-pro doesn't show on my 10-20mm sigma IF I use the side with only one slot. It will show on a landscape orientation shot at 10mm (barely). That is roughly 16mm FF. I think Scott (Stime187) has the same size filters/holders (z-pro) and is good on his 17-40 on his 5d.

When I've shot wide at times I just hold the filter in front of the lens at the right spot and shoot, there are no issues with holders that way but its easier to screw up.

I got the 4x6 filters (z-pro size) by hitech, the cokin holder, and I got .3 and .6 both hard and soft. I use them with a 77mm CP pretty often, and would say I use the hards most often. For me hitechs were a good choice between $$ and quality. You want 4x6 at least for the grads so you can move them up/down in frame and not have the edge of the filter showing.

Damon
11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks Jay.

So you get an adapter that screws into the filter threads of the lens, then that adapter has external threads for a circular filter? I think I need to find a shop with holders/adapters...

thechickencow
11-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Damon, if you're asking about the step up, it will screw on to your lens, say 72mm, then it has an outer ring that will let a 77mm filter go onto it.

The adapter rings for the grad nd holder will screw onto whatever size you buy.

Damon
11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I guess my question is, where does the circ. polarizer fit in? They don't have female threads right? My slim doesn't.

From what I'm gathering it goes:

camera -> Lens-> step up ring ->(Circ. Pol?)-> adapter -> holder -> GND filter

Ah the woes of shopping online... I'll have to go in and fondle some gear, problem is the local shop only carries cokin.

Easier question, .3 or .6? to start with at least.

thechickencow
11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
My CP has threads on both ends, so I put it on the lens first.

Your order looks like how I'd do it. If the CP matches the size you just eliminate the step up ring.

I don't know which I use more, probably pretty even between .3 and .6, but I probably have used my hard edges 10x more than my soft edges.

Jayso
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
My CP has threads on both ends, so I put it on the lens first.

Your order looks like how I'd do it. If the CP matches the size you just eliminate the step up ring.

Interesting, so forgive me for being un-educated on filters, but when you turn the CP, the square filters do not turn as well because their holder is not screwed on to anything it just rests on the adapter ring that only has threads to mount to the CP correct?

thechickencow
11-30-2008, 10:15 PM
you can turn the cp, which will turn the adapter ring, but then the square holder then can be straightened on the ring.

Its honestly a pain to adjust the cp.

Jayso
11-30-2008, 10:17 PM
got it, so you said the same thing i did just with fewer words... :wave:

LateApex
11-30-2008, 10:18 PM
I went with the Cokin P-series CPL, since I have multiple filter thread sizes on my lenses, and didn't want to buy multiple filters or deal with step-up rings. I haven't had a chance to use it much, so I can't really comment on how it's working out for me so far. And, it won't work with the wide angle P-series holder AND an ND Grad, but I have both styles of holders.

I ended up buying Singh Ray Grad NDs... a 2-stop soft, and a 3-stop hard. I'll probably get two more and a reverse also. I really could have used the reverse on my most recent sunrise pics. I haven't shot much with them yet, I really need to.

ETA: You guys posted while I was typing my reply, but I will add that the Cokin CPL allows you to turn it easily without rotating the holder.

Damon
12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Well I just ordered:

Lee holder w/ 77mm wide angle (heard it's good to 16mm full frame)
Hitech .3 and .6 hard GND
Hitech .6 ND

Should be here soon!

thechickencow
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
sweet, where did you get them from?

Damon
12-03-2008, 11:18 PM
2filter.com

thomps6s
12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
2filter.com

Best deals around. Great customer service too.

Damon
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
How's the shipping times? Hope it gets here soon!

Pomorski
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
instead of starting another thread, i thought i'd just throw this in here.

so lets say that i'm shooting something that would have a non-filter exposure of 1/1000 sec f/4 on ISO 100. with a 10 stop ND filter, i'd need an exposure of 1 sec at f/4, correct? just want to make sure i'm grasping the idea right...

thomps6s
12-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Yup, you just halve the exposure 10 times.

Stime187
12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
so lets say that i'm shooting something that would have a non-filter exposure of 1/1000 sec f/4 on ISO 100. with a 10 stop ND filter, i'd need an exposure of 1 sec at f/4, correct? just want to make sure i'm grasping the idea right...

Yep, and just if anyone sees this thread and is curious, here it is broken down...

1 = 1/500 @ f/4
2 = 1/250 @ f/4
3 = 1/125 @ f/4
4 = 1/60 @ f/4
5 = 1/30 @ f/4
6 = 1/15 @ f/4
7 = 1/8 @ f/4
8 = 1/4 @ f/4
9 = 1/2 @ f/4
10 = 1 @ f/4

jjswee
12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
What is the point of a 1 stop ND (non grad) filter?

Stime187
12-07-2008, 12:55 PM
What is the point of a 1 stop ND (non grad) filter?

There isn't one. They're worthless.

riderofbmx4130
12-07-2008, 10:40 PM
so i'm interested in thse, but don't know too much about them.
what filter would i need in order to shoot like 1 second or less shutter speeds in say full sunlight? even going as low as half second shutter speeds.

Stime187
12-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I'd say 4-8 stops or so, somewhat guessing though as it all depends on the light/direction/clouds/etc.... just take your typical daylight exposure, then halve it over and over again until your desired shutter speed. Count the number of halves and there's the strength you need.

riderofbmx4130
12-07-2008, 11:00 PM
that helps, i'll have to do some research on cost and such. might be a good investment.

ddmoore
12-08-2008, 06:28 AM
ok, so reading back through this thread I now understand what the ND filter/s do. but...

I was given a Hoya 4 Grad ND filter which has sat in my bag only to be used once. this is just a screw on filter and whilst I now understand what it does, don't really understand what the potential benefits of them aside from (unless I misinterpreted it) allowing for the equivalent of a slower shutter speed. do they improve or adjust the photo in any way, do they flatten the contrast a little?

One thing I am also unsure of is, why you can buy these in screw on filters and also filter holders and 4x5 filters etc.. what are the pro's and con's to running a screw on ND filter vs a 4x5 ND filter in a 4x4 holder?

PhatheadWRX
12-08-2008, 07:13 AM
if yours is a grad, that means it goes from light to dark (either a hard or soft line). Grads are great for landscapes, as you put the dark side of the grad over the sun portion of the composition, so the sky does not over expose and the land has time to expose correctly.

The big grad be filters are nice, because you can control where the grad line is. Harder to do with a circular filter. Circular regular NDs are fine though.

blcknspo0ln
12-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I was given a Hoya 4 Grad ND filter which has sat in my bag only to be used once. this is just a screw on filter and whilst I now understand what it does, don't really understand what the potential benefits of them aside from (unless I misinterpreted it) allowing for the equivalent of a slower shutter speed.

I think that's one of the cooler things. Imagine shooting a moving train at high noon :banana:

ddmoore
12-09-2008, 05:31 AM
ok makes a bit more sense about the filter. so I guess to re-iterate, as I'm fairly interested to know, do they improve or adjust the photo in any way, do they flatten the contrast a little? other than landscapes where/what else can these be used?

Stime187
12-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Sounds like you have an ND filter, right? NOT graduated.

If that's the case, they simply allow for longer shutter speeds. They can be used for any application where a longer shutter speed would be of value. The sky is the limit on what you can come up with.

ddmoore
12-11-2008, 07:11 AM
no its a graduated ND screw filter

ok that makes sense on what purpose they serve. I thought they enhanced the photo some way shape or form colourwise rather than shutter wise.

sorry to switch topic but do circular polarizers do the same AND pop the colour a little more?

Stime187
12-11-2008, 07:35 AM
no its a graduated ND screw filter

ok that makes sense on what purpose they serve. I thought they enhanced the photo some way shape or form colourwise rather than shutter wise.

sorry to switch topic but do circular polarizers do the same AND pop the colour a little more?

A graduated ND screw-on filter would do the same thing as a grad. ND, it would just be impossible to control. No way to place the graduation line where you want nor as good of control over the angle. Definitely not a substitute for the real thing (rectangular).

But as for what they do, they lower the dynamic range in a scene by allowing the shadows/darker part of the image to expose more closely to the highlights which are (supposed) to be behind the "neutrally dense" part. They absolutely do far more than change the shutter speed, but it'll be hard to get much out of a screw-on type.

As for circular polarizers, they don't act the same. Yes, CPs do slow shutter speeds (as a byproduct of their real use) but their main purpose is to reduce glare on the surface of water and to saturate colors (especially things like wet foliage). People also use them to darken blue skies but that's too inconsistent, results-wise for me.

Hope that helps. Make a new thread if you need to.

thomps6s
12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
I posted this here a long time ago, good read up.

http://russellspixelpix.blogspot.com/2007/05/tip-5-graduated-neutral-density-filters.html

I feel like our ND filter threads should be merged and stickied.

thechickencow
12-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Good idear Shawn!

edit: Done-
If somebody knows of another thread let me know.

ddmoore
12-13-2008, 07:13 PM
ahh ok, makes a lot more sense now scott, thanks :)

a.hoglen
10-15-2010, 07:29 PM
No where in the US has the stuff to complete a Lee Holder or Cokin holder for the last 2 months..... Arg!! I've got $200 and I want some ND grad action.

Blazin
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM
No where in the US has the stuff to complete a Lee Holder or Cokin holder for the last 2 months..... Arg!! I've got $200 and I want some ND grad action.

Uh... www.2filter.com they seem to have everything, am I missing something?

a.hoglen
10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
nothing is in stock dude.. talked to them this afternoon. They don't keep the website updated and they don't know what/when they get shipments in

Blazin
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
nothing is in stock dude.. talked to them this afternoon. They don't keep the website updated and they don't know what/when they get shipments in

****ers, they must have just sold out though, I talked to them a week ago.

a.hoglen
10-15-2010, 09:15 PM
the biggest issue is the proper rings.. everyone wants the 77mm stuff and it goes quick.

Blazin
10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
the biggest issue is the proper rings.. everyone wants the 77mm stuff and it goes quick.

Guess I'm lucky I have that terrible 82mm thread size :)

jacobsen1
10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
this: http://www.adorama.com/CYFHR77.html
is supposed to be a very good knock off (exact?) of the lee ring. Then you get the lee holder and filters and you're set.
Or get cokin holders/rings and when you get sick of them and the lee is in stock, upgrade?

thomps6s
10-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Or, buy the filters and hand hold them FTW?

astockwell
10-16-2010, 12:48 PM

What size ring do you need?? I would say if you need something like a 72 or something, find a step up ring, to say 77, then buy a 77 cokin ring.

jacobsen1
10-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Or, buy the filters and hand hold them FTW?

how often do you scratch yours? The TS-E (on loan) is 82mm so I've been doing that, but if I ALWAYS did that I'd bet I'd beat my filters up?

What size ring do you need?? I would say if you need something like a 72 or something, find a step up ring, to say 77, then buy a 77 cokin ring.

his 2 best landscape lenses are 77s (18-35 and 24-70). He could buy the 82 and step it down, but why not buy the (american made) knock off I posted?

thomps6s
10-16-2010, 02:13 PM
how often do you scratch yours? The TS-E (on loan) is 82mm so I've been doing that, but if I ALWAYS did that I'd bet I'd beat my filters up?

Never

jacobsen1
10-16-2010, 02:19 PM
are you just that good/super careful, or do you sometimes touch and they don't scratch?

I'd almost consider getting some cheap felt and sticking it on/around the lens or even chopping off a hood to make this super easy/reliable and rock it that way...

How do you deal with stacked filters this way shawn?

the other part of my problem is I'm paranoid of getting my fingers in the shot because when I was learning the roles with the 12-24mm and 14-24mm I didn't always have holders, but those lenses have such wide FOVs they could cause problems normal UWAs don't...

thomps6s
10-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Just checked mine and they have no scratches that I can see and I have been hand holding them for a year, right up to the lens.

thomps6s
10-16-2010, 03:07 PM
For stacking, I hold them as well, no issues.

jacobsen1
10-16-2010, 03:26 PM
do they touch stacked (that could potentially cause those rainbow lines, whatever they're called)?

and that's interesting shawn, I have scratches on mine from them sliding out of the holder (when walking to a new spot with them in the slot)... :lol:
how often do you get pics with your fingers? Never or once in a while?

astockwell
10-16-2010, 03:34 PM

his 2 best landscape lenses are 77s (18-35 and 24-70). He could buy the 82 and step it down, but why not buy the (american made) knock off I posted?

Yeah, buy a 77 to 82 step up ring, then buy a 82 size cokin ring. Is this for P's or Z's?

jacobsen1
10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
the only brand that has stock issues is the lee holder/rings and they're Zs only right?

the cokin 77mm ring is in stock, I know that much. You can use other filters in their holder, it's just that the lee holder is MUCH nicer.

thomps6s
10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
how often do you get pics with your fingers? Never or once in a while?

Sometimes, but I catch it in camera, re-adjust and shoot again.

Blazin
10-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Wait why are you worried about scratches on the filters? Is that for resale?

jacobsen1
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
OK, this needs to be here as well (I originally posted this on PotN when someone PMed me).

I just broke my cokin holder + ring and got the lee today (100% my fault). Get the lee, it's that much better.

For a CP it's good to have round because that's how you use them a lot, alone, plus the round versions are much cheaper because they're smaller (the exact right size). When you get into GNDs and NDs they're so much cheaper to make that getting them ONCE as a panel saves you money. So you need panel filters, you need a holder, and you need the ring to get them onto your lens.

the lee holder is ~$15 more than the cokin and soooo worth it. The issue is their rings (for wide lenses) are $60 -vs- the $30 for the cokin ring. So combined it's $50 more. But get the lee...

lee 82mm ring:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87148-REG/LEE_Filters_WAR082_Adapter_Ring_82mm.html
lee holder:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87108-REG/LEE_Filters_FK_Foundation_Kit_Standard_4x4.html

cokin holder:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387303-REG/Cokin_CBZ100_Z_PRO_Filter_Holder_Requires.html
cokin ring:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387406-REG/Cokin_CZ482_82mm_Z_Pro_Adapter_Ring.html

once you have either of those setups (the lee ring is backordered) then you're set for getting panel filters. The standard size is 4" x 6" which cokin calls Zs. There are different cokin sizes both bigger and smaller but I won't confuse you with them. You want Zs. If you're buying by size the grads will be 4x5 or 4x6 depending on who makes them and the NDs will be 4x4 typically. All of the different filters will go in all the different holders, so you can mix and match. It's generally good to stick with ONE filter maker though so the grays match or you can get funky color issues.

Once you get down to filters, there are a few makers, here's the 3 stop GND from each in this size:

$60 cokin http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387152-REG/Cokin_CZ121S_Z_Pro_121S_Graduated_G2.html#features
$63 hitech http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/100365-REG/Hitech_HT1408_4x5_Graduated_Neutral_Density.html
$95 leehttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87382-REG/LEE_Filters_9NDG_S_Graduated_Neutral_Density_ND.ht ml
$160 singh ray http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615182-REG/Singh_Ray_R_45_4x6_Graduated_Neutral_Density.html

Everyone I know either uses Lees or wishes they could afford them. Hitech's are the next best bet as they're not much more than the cokins but they're more neutral. I use hitechs and had cokins and like the hitechs better, they're basically good enough for me. But Lees come with their own nice soft pouch each (hitechs are in plastic) and lees are 4x6 where hitechs are 4x5. That hasn't been an issue for me, but 4x6 is nicer. Basically, if you can afford a 100% lee setup, I'd go that route. Oh, and format is the UK name for hitech, same company, same filters, our hitech filters say format on them as well (on the paper).

Also, get his regardless of the setup you get:
http://www.adorama.com/GBSFP46.html

it holds my holder AND 4 filters perfectly.

also, watch this:
http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/accessories/filters-for-lenses-that-cant-take-filters/
it's more about using filters on lenses that "can't" but it'll help you see some of these things in a video. I'll be making a new video hopefully this weekend with my cokin Z holder -vs- the lee with a tutorial on how to use them (now that I have 2 cameras again)...

thechickencow
10-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I hold mine right up to the lens as well and don't see any scratches. I find my inability to sit still actually makes them blend a bit which is nice.

The only time it's a pain is if it's really windy or if I'm shooting something I'm waiting for specific stuff to happen like a big wave or whatever.

Blazin
10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Seriously.. what's with the scratching.. does it catch light and cause issues in the grad line? Between the exposure areas?

thomps6s
10-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Seriously.. what's with the scratching.. does it catch light and cause issues in the grad line? Between the exposure areas?

If it is a deep enough sratch/gouge the blemish will show on the image.

Blazin
10-19-2010, 02:22 PM
If it is a deep enough sratch/gouge the blemish will show on the image.

Is that because of the distance from the FE? I'm just curious if I should be more careful or if it's a DNC situation.

thomps6s
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Is that because of the distance from the FE? I'm just curious if I should be more careful or if it's a DNC situation.

I am hoping N.Lindstrom will chime in. He recently gouged his hitechs accidentaly and it messed up the images.

Blazin
10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I am hoping N.Lindstrom will chime in. He recently gouged his hitechs accidentaly and it messed up the images.

Yea I'd like to see the effects.. I'm wondering if it's only an issue for GNDs and not NDs..

thomps6s
10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Yea I'd like to see the effects.. I'm wondering if it's only an issue for GNDs and not NDs..

Any acrylic filter would have the same effects I am sure.

N.Lindstrom
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Mine got loose in my bag, aaaand now I have to get new ones. This is also in a Lee holder.

http://www.nlindstrom.com/natelindstrom/wp-content/gallery/places/2010/10/Untitled-1.jpg

Blazin
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Eww... that's annoying... I'm surprised it makes any difference. Especially after seeing that you can essentially smash your front element and see little issue. Gotta get a pouch.

jacobsen1
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
^ yep, it's just like dust on a FE. Normally it's not the end of a day and yes I've seen the post about the CRACKED FE, but shooting sunrises and in other tricky lighting situations, the light seems to like to draw attention to ANY flaws...

the weirdness in the rays in this shot was made worse because of crap on the filter:
http://benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sakonnet-3-8-2010/bbj_9348.jpg

jacobsen1
10-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Eww... that's annoying... I'm surprised it makes any difference. Especially after seeing that you can essentially smash your front element and see little issue. Gotta get a pouch.

if you shot with the sun BEHIND you, you wouldn't see it I'd bet, but direct sun (when we NEED filters) it's pretty easy to spot.

this is the holder you want:
;)

thomps6s
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
if you shot with the sun BEHIND you, you wouldn't see it I'd bet, but direct sun (when we NEED filters) it's pretty easy to spot.

this is the holder you want:
;)

Yes! I can't wait to get mine.

N.Lindstrom
10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm holding out for this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736041-REG/Lowepro_LP36259_0AM_S_F_Filter_Pouch_100.html

Blazin
10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Think Tank needs to make one that can fit onto my R20 side thingy.

Cameron Gardner
10-19-2010, 02:53 PM
will that holder hold the lee polyester ND filters? I have the set of 1, 2, and 3 stop.

jacobsen1
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm holding out for this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736041-REG/Lowepro_LP36259_0AM_S_F_Filter_Pouch_100.html

that's a nice looking bag as well. Their insert looks nicer, but the strap on the back only goes vertically (so onto a horizontal strap). The adorama one goes both ways in case you need the option.

Think Tank needs to make one that can fit onto my R20 side thingy.

either of the last 2 posted will?

N.Lindstrom
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
It'll fit nice on my fanny pack.:wave:

jacobsen1
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
yeah, I didn't know the adorama one had both straps and honestly, if I'd seen that one when I ordered mine and it was available, I would have picked it up. LowePro makes very nice inexpensive small bags like that.

Post about it when it's available and when you get it, I'm curious. :)

Algonquin
10-19-2010, 04:12 PM

I've been trying to get the cokin z-pro kit as well. I talked to the good people at 2filter.com and they said that France basically takes the month of August off, and that's why Cokin products are all backordered.

thechickencow
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
It'll fit nice on my fanny pack.:wave:

Blazin
10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
that's a nice looking bag as well. Their insert looks nicer, but the strap on the back only goes vertically (so onto a horizontal strap). The adorama one goes both ways in case you need the option.

either of the last 2 posted will?

They have no picture of the strap.. so I didn't know.. niice.

N.Lindstrom
10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Guys gotta keep an emergency sandwich somewhere:confused::lol:

Blazin
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I've been trying to get the cokin z-pro kit as well. I talked to the good people at 2filter.com and they said that France basically takes the month of August off, and that's why Cokin products are all backordered.

Pfft and the south of France takes ****ing siestas.. ****'s weak.. :(

PhatheadWRX
10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Ben, you do still have my filters, right? I don't have them back...

jacobsen1
10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Ben, you do still have my filters, right? I don't have them back...

yeah, why, you need/want them?

PhatheadWRX
10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
eventually ;) I have not been shooting much lately

were you able to see if the P's will work on the 7D?

jacobsen1
10-20-2010, 04:28 PM
haven't tried yet. :diaf:

Blazin
10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
eventually ;) I have not been shooting much lately

were you able to see if the P's will work on the 7D?

haven't tried yet. :diaf:

Why wouldn't they?

[Cerberus]
10-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Alright so I am looking into getting some filters, and have been very confused with nomenclature on various sites. I am happy I stumbled upon this thread, instead of making a new one.

So far if I have understood things, if you take your desired F equivalent and multiply by .3 you get the manufacturer nomenclature. IE 3F x .3 = .9 You can go vice versa with a division.

Does this carry through? would a 9 stop be a 2.7 filter?

I think based on what I have read, I am just going to get the Lee holder. Do I also need Lee brand adapter rings, or are their knock offs?

Also, from reading here, people have been using a CP on the lens and then putting the filter holder on that. I am kind of Leary since a polarized lens will reflect light through plastic, where certain stress are and produces a rainbow effect. Is this a problem with resin filters? That and I read someplace a polarizer should be first.

Another thing I wanted to add, is the Aderma filter holder link previously posted seems to be down. Did the website change?

MoLS
10-28-2010, 01:28 PM
;531812']Does this carry through? would a 9 stop be a 2.7 filter?

Yes.

I have been using my holder less and less. If you're getting p-series filters then there are copious amounts of knock off holders/adapters. But as you move up sizes to Z or X you have to go with manufacturers. AFAIK you need a lee ring to use a lee holder.

I almost always use a CP on the lens and then GND over top and haven't noticed anything wonky unless I'm truly doing something wrong. That's using a resin singh-ray filter.

jacobsen1
10-28-2010, 05:11 PM
you can stack CPs with GNDs w/o issues. The only issue will be vignetting on a wide lens, not rainbows.
there are lee knock off rings, but only because lee can't stock theirs often enough. The knock offs are at adorama (search lee xxmm where xx is the size).
this is the filter holder http://www.adorama.com/GBSFP46.html
different filter companies use different numbers for stops of light FYI. So .3 is typically a stop, 2.7 is nine and 3.0 ten (I only bring that up because I've seen 10 stops IRL, not nines). Other companies refer to them as 10 stops, and I've also seen 1000x (not sure how strong that is though). Yes it's very confusing.

MoLS
10-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Hoya makes a 9-stop ND.

Hi-Tech might make a 9 stop panel?

jacobsen1
10-28-2010, 05:16 PM
yeah, sorry, I mean I personally have only seen 10s, I know they make both. :lol:

MoLS
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Is that why they call you "go big or go home" jacobsen?

thomps6s
10-28-2010, 05:56 PM
I have owned the 9 stop Hoya and 10 stop B+W

I still own and prefer the 10 Stop B+W. The extra stop make a HUGE difference in daylight conditions.

[Cerberus]
10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I have my head wrapped around this a good bit. Sticker shock is going to be annoying though.

This is what I meant when you can see stresses in plastics with polarized light. What you see when you have a rainbow is increases in stress, in the piece.

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/swansont/archives/754

jacobsen1
11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
The extra stop make a HUGE difference in daylight conditions.

yeah, like twice as many seconds. ;) :lol:

a.hoglen
02-19-2011, 10:54 AM
well, just got the lee filter holder in the mail...

I'm still not sure why this thing set me back as much as it did and why they never have availble to their distributors unless, of course, it's hand-cobbled out of peices of plastic left over from the Challanger disaster...

I mean to say that it looks like it will get the job done, but for the price it should be made of al-u-min-i-um. I also would have made the screws allen heads vice standard screw heads.

Now the UWA ring is a nice peice of work. I can see why that cost a little bit to make.

I think with a little bit of work I can get it to work on the 14-24 or at least use it as a template to have something made.

N.Lindstrom
02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
well, just got the lee filter holder in the mail...

I'm still not sure why this thing set me back as much as it did and why they never have availble to their distributors unless, of course, it's hand-cobbled out of peices of plastic left over from the Challanger disaster...

I mean to say that it looks like it will get the job done, but for the price it should be made of al-u-min-i-um. I also would have made the screws allen heads vice standard screw heads.

Now the UWA ring is a nice peice of work. I can see why that cost a little bit to make.

I think with a little bit of work I can get it to work on the 14-24 or at least use it as a template to have something made.

Where did you get yours? I need one for my 12-24.....I can't seem to find much in stock.

a.hoglen
02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
2 filter..
It was ordered in early November.

I just got it today. They had it on backorder and couldn't even tell me a month that it may be back in stock. The lady said I got one of three that the recieved in their last shipment.

in today's technology.. this sort of thing is unacceptable on both Lee and 2filters part.

N.Lindstrom
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Ick. I guess I better get in line...

thomps6s
02-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Here is a quick Grad ND vs No Grad ND video I threw up on Youtube.
Gives you an idea of what a hard edge 3 stop grad does.
You can see how the transition is changing as I move the grad up and down too.

I know it is stupid to shoot vertical video, I was shooting stills and just hit the record button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jNvWJ0Ej2Y

geist
04-12-2011, 05:38 AM
any suggestions for grad/or norm ND filter for daylight long exposures etc for landscapes on a sigma 10-20? trying to find some in the uk, but wld help if knew exactly what to look for!

wld this work for example?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-grau-ND-HMC-77/dp/B00009R9EB

thomps6s
04-12-2011, 08:38 AM
You need a 10 stop filter for long daylight exposures.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=B%2BW+ND+3.0&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686370-REG/LEE_Filters_10_STOP_GLASS_4X4_4_x_4_Big.html

Or you can DIY and go for black and whites

http://newschoolofphotography.com/diy/21933-diy-10-stop.html

geist
04-12-2011, 08:50 AM
tried the DIY route with welding glass, struggling to get it right. looks dirty even after cleaned the glass and often lets light in and get sun spots etc :( colour correction doesn't quite get right when play with the RAW file either, maybe i'm rushing it too much. grass or reeds or w/e move around loads too, shld prob try when no wind to stop getting blurred shots ;/
i'm in the uk so i'll see if can find those u've linked here!
thanks

edit:

so this would work:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=673&PT_ID=793
at 77mm for the 10-20 sigma?
thought it wld be more expensive :(

thomps6s
04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
tried the DIY route with welding glass, struggling to get it right. looks dirty even after cleaned the glass and often lets light in and get sun spots etc :( colour correction doesn't quite get right when play with the RAW file either, maybe i'm rushing it too much. grass or reeds or w/e move around loads too, shld prob try when no wind to stop getting blurred shots ;/
i'm in the uk so i'll see if can find those u've linked here!
thanks

edit:

so this would work:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=673&PT_ID=793

That is the right filter. Should be around $100 US

jacobsen1
04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

wait, so you're bummed it's LE$$? :lol:

and yeah, that's right assuming you have the variable aperture siggy 10-20. If you have their newer f/3.5 constant version it needs an 82mm. :)

geist
04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
ha far from it, i'm :( because i found one before which was only 24quid, and thought wow cheap, but it's the wrong one !
anyway see if i can stretch the wallet around this one :P

jacobsen1
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
OK, unsticking this thread, let's take any new questions over to the new version of this thread here: http://newschoolofphotography.com/what-buy/30961-gnd-nd-buyers-guide-version-ii.html